Lemieux, is a surname of French Canadian origin, which means simply "the best". According to the website "Les familles Lemieux d'Amerique" ("The Lemieux families of America") the North American Lemieux are descended from two half-brothers, Pierre and Gabriel, who emigrated from Rouen, France, to Quebec in 1643. This surname is not to be confused with Lémieux, a name of French origin which is derived from a small town, Leymieux, in the Rhône-Alpes region of France.
It may refer to the following people:
- Mario Lemieux (born 1965), Canadian professional ice hockey player
- Alain Lemieux (born 1961), Canadian professional ice hockey player, older brother of Mario
- Claude Lemieux (born 1965), Canadian professional ice hockey player, older brother of Jocelyn
- David Lemieux (born 1988), Canadian professional boxer
- Jacques Lemieux (born 1943), Canadian professional ice hockey player
- Jean Lemieux (born 1952), Canadian professional ice hockey player
- Jocelyn Lemieux (born 1967), Canadian professional ice hockey player, younger brother of Claude
- Lawrence Lemieux (born 1955), Canadian sailor who competed at the Olympics
- Réal Lemieux (1945–1975), Canadian professional ice hockey player
- Richard Lemieux (born 1951), Canadian professional ice hockey player
- Diane Lemieux (born 1961), Canadian politician
- Francois-Xavier Lemieux (9 February 1811 – 16 May 1864), Québec lawyer and politician; uncle to the Francois-Xavier listed below
- François-Xavier Lemieux (Quebec MNA) (9 April 1811 – 18 July 1864), Québec lawyer of Louis Riel, politician, and judge; nephew to the Francois-Xavier listed above
- George LeMieux (born 1969), United States Senator from Florida
- Pierre Lemieux (born 1963), Canadian politician
- Rodolphe Lemieux (1866–1937), Canadian journalist, lawyer, law professor, and politician
- Ron Lemieux (born 1950), Canadian politician
In other fields:
- Diana Lemieux (born ?), American freelance photographer
- Jean Paul Lemieux (1904–1990), Canadian painter
- Julie Lemieux (born 1962), Canadian voice actress and director
- Kelly LeMieux (born ?), bass player with the band Goldfinger
- Lyse Lemieux (born 1936), former Chief Justice of the Quebec Superior Court
- Marie-Nicole Lemieux (born 1975), a Canadian contralto
- Pierre Lemieux (born 1947), economist and author of several books
- Raymond Lemieux (1920–2000), Canadian biochemist, discoverer of the synthesis of sucrose
- David Lemieux (born 1953) African-American actor (The Spook Who Sat by the Door), former member of the Black Panther Party, retired Chicago Police detective and activist (IMDb profile)
Lemieux may also refer to:
- Lemieux-Johnson oxidation, chemical reaction named after Raymond Lemieux and W. S. Johnson
- Lemieux, Quebec, municipality in Québec
- Lemieux, Ontario, ghost town in Ontario
Other articles related to "lemieux":
... 1 F Mario Lemieux "For once, we control our own destiny ... The impact that Lemieux is going to have on our franchise is something we need ... It won't just be the Pittsburgh Penguins it will be Mario Lemieux and the Pittsburgh Penguins." —ED JOHNSTON, General Manager of the Penguins in 1984 ...
... The Lemieux-Johnson oxidation is a chemical reaction named after its discoverers, R ... Lemieux and W ... consisting of the dihydroxylation of the carbon-carbon double bond by the Lemieux-Johnson reagent (sodium periodate-osmium tetroxide) and the second being ...
14, 8 ... Sundstrom, PatrikPatrik Sundstrom Sweden New Jersey Devils 01988-04-22April 22, 8 ... Lemieux, MarioMario Lemieux Canada Pittsburgh Penguins 01988-10-15October 15, 1988 8 ...
... The Mellon Mario Lemieux Celebrity Invitational was an event on the Celebrity Players Tour held from 1998 to 2005 at The Club at Nevillewood in Presto, Pennsylvania ... The tournament benefited the Mario Lemieux Foundation for cancer research ...
... The government of Ontario erected a historical plaque at the site of Lemieux's former main street. ...