Hold may refer to:
- Hold (banking/commerce), a now common practice by bankers and retailers (esp. gas stations)
- Hold (ship), interior cargo space
- Hold (aviation), a place for an aircraft to loop around near its destination
- Legal hold, a legal ruling or official declaration
- Hold (baseball), a statistic that may be awarded to a relief pitcher
- Hold (telephone), a condition where the call is not terminated, but no speech is taking place
- Grappling hold, a specific grip applied to an opponent in wrestling or martial arts
- Secret hold, a parliamentary procedure
- Hold (title), an ancient Anglo-Danish and Norwegian title
- Stronghold, a castle or other fortified place
- The cards that are kept in a hand of poker, not those discarded and replaced
- Holds of Pern, a city or community in the Dragonriders of Pern science-fiction series
- Marianne Hold (1933–1994), German actress
- "Hold", a song by Axium from Blindsided
- Handhold (dance)
Other articles related to "hold":
... (="difference, rarity") Avast a nautical interjection (="hold! stop!"), probably worn down from Dutch houd vast (="hold fast" or "hold steady") ...
... Ushiro-kesa-gatame (後袈裟固?, Rear scarf hold) is an osaekomi-waza (holding technique) of Judo ... The hold works on the same basic principle as hon-kesa-gatame with the hold being applied across uke's chest with standard kesa-gatame leg positioning ...
... Details Bristol No overall control No overall control hold Derby No overall control No overall control hold Details Halton Labour Labour hold Details Hartlepool Labour Labour hold Kingston ...
... Frusciante had Smile from the Streets You Hold and Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt removed from record stores in 1998 after rejoining the ... quoted as saying that he released Smile from the Streets You Hold for drug money ... re-release Smile from the Streets You Hold, although this has yet to happen as of 2012 ...
... Hold time may also refer to The amount of time spend on hold in a phone queue Hold Time, album by M ...
Famous quotes containing the word hold:
“I hold the value of life is to improve ones condition. Whatever is calculated to advance the condition of the honest, struggling laboring man, so far as my judgment will enable me to judge of a correct thing, I am for that thing.”
—Abraham Lincoln (18091865)
“I would have these good people to recollect, that the laws of this country hold out to foreigners an offer of all that liberty of the press which Americans enjoy, and that, if this liberty be abridged, by whatever means it may be done, the laws and the constitution, and all together, is a mere cheat; a snare to catch the credulous and enthusiastic of every other nation; a downright imposition on the world.”
—William Cobbett (17621835)
“I wonder that we Americans love our country at all, it having no limits and no oneness; and when you try to make it a matter of the heart, everything falls away except ones native State;Mneither can you seize hold of that, unless you tear it out of the Union, bleeding and quivering.”
—Nathaniel Hawthorne (18041864)