Heritage refers to something inherited from the past. The word has several different senses, including:
- Natural heritage, an inheritance of fauna and flora, geology, landscape and landforms, and other natural resources
- Cultural heritage, the legacy of physical artifacts and intangible attributes of a group or society: man-made heritage
- Food heritage
- Industrial heritage, monuments from industrial culture
- Tradition, customs and practices inherited from ancestors
- Virtual Heritage, an ICT work dealing with cultural heritage
- Inheritance of physical goods after the death of an individual; of the physical or non-physical things inherited
- Heredity, biological inheritance of physical characteristics
- Birthright, something inherited due to the place, time, or circumstances of someone's birth
- Kinship, the relationship between entities that share a genealogical origin
- In music
- Heritage (Eddie Henderson album), 1976
- Heritage (Earth, Wind & Fire album), 1990
- Heritage (Astrofaes album), 2002
- Heritage (Opeth album), 2011, and the title song
The name Heritage may also refer to:
- Oliver Heritage Magazine
- Heritage (1935 film), a 1935 Australian film directed by Charles Chauvel
- Heritage (1984 film), a 1984 Slovenian film directed by Matjaž Klopčič
- Heritage (Doctor Who), a novel in the BBC Books series
- The Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank located in Washington, D.C.
- Heritage Day (disambiguation)
- Heritage Guitars, a boutique guitar manufacturer, separated from Gibson
- Heritage New Hampshire, a museum companion to the New Hampshire theme park Story Land
- Heritage Records (Australia), a 1960s Australian record label
- Heritage (Armenia), a liberal political party in Armenia
- Heritage Party (Zambia), a political party in Zambia
- Héritage, a defunct supermarket retailer based in Quebec, Canada
- Heritage, vintage light rail urban train operation
- Heritage Auctions, an auction House in Dallas
Other articles related to "heritage":
... to 1920s have been declared the cultural heritage at the federal or local levels ... village of Malye Korely close to Arkhangelsk, with the purpose of preserving this heritage ... located in the Kizhi Pogost in the Republic of Karelia and is classified as World Heritage ...
... Siding, just short of Whitrope Tunnel, track panels have been relaid by the Waverley Route Heritage Association (WRHA) as part of a heritage railway that in 2009 stretched ... A heritage centre is being constructed at Whitrope as part of the WRHA activities ... The Heritage Centre had two open days in July 2010, with official opening of the Centre taking place on Sunday at 2pm ...
... The Department of Canadian Heritage, or simply Canadian Heritage (French Patrimoine canadien, is the department of the Government of Canada with responsibility for policies and programs regarding the arts ... merged into the Department of Industry in 1996, forming the Department of Canadian Heritage from its non-technical side ... The current Minister of Canadian Heritage is the Honourable James Moore ...
... Airmen's Married Quarters under the Thematic Listing Programme was withdrawn by English Heritage ...
... Four heritage rail operators, the Railway Enthusiasts Society, Steam Incorporated, Mainline Steam Trust and the Otago Excursion Train Trust, own and operate their own carriage and mainline-certified ... have overhauled their own locomotives for main-line use with either heritage or public passenger carriages ...
Famous quotes containing the word heritage:
“The heritage of the American Revolution is forgotten, and the American government, for better and for worse, has entered into the heritage of Europe as though it were its patrimonyunaware, alas, of the fact that Europes declining power was preceded and accompanied by political bankruptcy, the bankruptcy of the nation-state and its concept of sovereignty.”
—Hannah Arendt (19061975)
“It seems to me that upbringings have themes. The parents set the theme, either explicitly or implicitly, and the children pick it up, sometimes accurately and sometimes not so accurately.... The theme may be Our family has a distinguished heritage that you must live up to or No matter what happens, we are fortunate to be together in this lovely corner of the earth or We have worked hard so that you can have the opportunities we didnt have.”
—Calvin Trillin (20th century)