- See also Degrees of Eastern Orthodox monasticism
In Eastern Orthodoxy and Eastern Catholicism, a useful distinction between liturgical vestments and clerical clothing is that vestments are required to be blessed before being worn. Conversely, clerical clothing is not, and is regarded as daily wear.
- Inner Cassock: The inner cassock (more commonly, simply Cassock) is a floor length garment, usually black, worn by all clergy members, monastics, and seminarians.
- Outer Cassock: Called a Ryasa (Russian: ряса) or Exorason, the outer cassock is a large, flowing garment worn over the inner cassock by bishops, priests, deacons, and monastics.
- Skufia: A soft-sided cap worn by monastics or awarded to clergy as a mark of honor.
- Kamilavka: A stiff hat worn by monastics or awarded to clergy as a mark of honor.
- Apostolnik: A veil worn either by nuns, either alone or with a Skufia.
- Epanokamelavkion: A veil extending over the back, worn with the Kamilavka by all monastics and bishops.
- Klobuk: A Kamilavka with an Epanokamelavkion permanently attached; more common in the Russian tradition.
Read more about this topic: Clerical Clothing
Other articles related to "eastern christianity, eastern, christianity":
... The Holy Friday liturgy of the Eastern Orthodox Church and Byzantine Catholics uses the expression "impious and transgressing people", but the strongest expressions are in the Holy Thursday liturgy, which ...
... Empiricism Neo-Thomism Æterni Patris Philosophy Portal Catholicism Portal Both Judaism and Christianity are revelation-based models ... For example Christianity teaches that the Logos (the Second Person of the Trinity) became incarnate ... Eastern Christianity makes use of both apophatic and cataphatic theology ...
... Millions of Orthodox are no longer geographically "eastern" since they live permanently in their newly adopted countries in the West ... Nonetheless, they remain Eastern Orthodox in their faith and practice ...
... The Eastern churches (excepting the non-liturgical dissenting bodies) each belong to one of several liturgical families Alexandrian Rite Antiochene Rite Armenian Rite Byzantine Rite East Syrian ...
... Further information Eastern Orthodoxy in the West The Association of Religion Data Archives (ARDA) as of 2000 reported just below 1 million of adherents of ...
Famous quotes containing the words christianity and/or eastern:
“With two thousand years of Christianity behind him ... a man cant see a regiment of soldiers march past without going off the deep end. It starts off far too many ideas in his head.”
—Louis-Ferdinand Céline (18941961)
“The more important the title, the more self-important the person, the greater the amount of time spent on the Eastern shuttle, the more suspicious the man and the less vitality in the organization.”
—Jane OReilly, U.S. feminist and humorist. The Girl I Left Behind, ch. 5 (1980)