Canon (Latin canon from Greek κανών "measuring rod, standard") may refer to any standard or convention. The corresponding adjective is canonical. English canon may also represent Latin canonicus "one who is canonical".
- Canon (basic principle)
- Canon (music), a contrapuntal composition which employs a melody with one or more imitations
- Pachelbel's Canon
- Visual arts
- Aesthetic canon, a rule for the proportions of a human figure
- Film canon, the limited number of masterpieces by which all other films are judged
- The Canon, nonfiction science book by Natalie Angier
- The Western Canon (book), book on the Western canon by Harold Bloom
- Canon (fiction), material that is considered to be genuine by a fan base
- Canon law, the body of laws and regulations made by or adopted by ecclesiastical authority
- Canon law (Catholic Church)
- Canonization, the process of declaring a person to be a Saint
- Canon (priest), a Christian priest who belongs to one of certain chapters
- Biblical canon
- Canon (hymnography), a type of Eastern Orthodox hymn
- Canon of the Mass, the Eucharistic Prayer of the Roman Rite
- Penitential canons
- Taoist canon or Daozang
- Pāli Canon
- Chinese Buddhist canon
- Tibetan Buddhist canon
- Tanakh, sometimes referred to as the Jewish Bible Canon
As a proper noun, Canon may also refer to:
- Canon, Georgia, a city in Franklin County, Georgia, United States
- Cañon or canyon, a deep valley between cliffs
- Brands and Products
- Canon (company), a Japanese imaging and optical products corporation; produces Canon cameras
- Canon Communications, a media company headquartered in Los Angeles
- Canon (game), an online browser-based strategy war game
- Canon (manga), a shōjo manga by Chika Shiomi
- Château Canon (disambiguation), one of a number of wineries
Other articles related to "canon":
... Canon refers to inkjet printers as bubblejets, hence the frequent BJC-prefix ... Canon BJC-50 Canon BJC-55 Canon BJC-70 Canon BJC-80 Canon BJC-85 Canon BJC-85W Canon BJC-210 Canon BJC-210SP Canon BJC-240 Canon BJC-250 Canon BJC-255SP ...
... The Star Trek canon is the set of all canonical material in the Star Trek universe ... in stone, but that the notion of what constitutes canon in Star Trek is fluid, open to interpretation and debate ...
... The Canon AT-1 is a 35mm FD-mount single-lens reflex camera manufactured by Canon of Japan from December 1976 ... Canon AT-1 with 50mm f/1.8 Lens, taken with a Canon T1i, 50mm ...
... The EF 70-200mm lens is a telephoto zoom lens made by Canon Inc ... The f/4 non-IS version, the cheapest L-series lens that Canon makes, is popular among weight-sensitive landscape photographers and hobbyists who ... mated to a weather sealed camera to such as the Canon EOS 1D-series bodies ...
... Canon S200 Canon S300 Canon S330 Canon S400 Canon S450 Canon S500 Canon S520 Canon S530D Canon S600 Canon S630 Canon S750 Canon S800 Canon S820 Canon S820D ...
Famous quotes containing the word canon:
“The greatest block today in the way of womans emancipation is the church, the canon law, the Bible and the priesthood.”
—Elizabeth Cady Stanton (18151902)
“Art is not the application of a canon of beauty but what the instinct and the brain can conceive beyond any canon. When we love a woman we dont start measuring her limbs.”
—Pablo Picasso (18811973)
“There is a Canon which confines
A Rhymed Octosyllabic Curse
If written in Iambic Verse
To fifty lines.”
—Hilaire Belloc (18701953)