SizesMain article: Book size
The size of a modern book is based on the printing area of a common flatbed press. The pages of type were arranged and clamped in a frame, so that when printed on a sheet of paper the full size of the press, the pages would be right side up and in order when the sheet was folded, and the folded edges trimmed.
The most common book sizes are:
- Quarto (4to): the sheet of paper is folded twice, forming four leaves (eight pages) approximately 11-13 inches (ca 30 cm) tall
- Octavo (8vo): the most common size for current hardcover books. The sheet is folded three times into eight leaves (16 pages) up to 9 ¾" (ca 23 cm) tall.
- DuoDecimo (12mo): a size between 8vo and 16mo, up to 7 ¾" (ca 18 cm) tall
- Sextodecimo (16mo): the sheet is folded four times, forming 16 leaves (32 pages) up to 6 ¾" (ca 15 cm) tall
Sizes smaller than 16mo are:
- 24mo: up to 5 ¾" (ca 13 cm) tall.
- 32mo: up to 5" (ca 12 cm) tall.
- 48mo: up to 4" (ca 10 cm) tall.
- 64mo: up to 3" (ca 8 cm) tall.
Small books can be called booklets.
Sizes larger than quarto are:
- Folio: up to 15" (ca 38 cm) tall.
- Elephant Folio: up to 23" (ca 58 cm) tall.
- Atlas Folio: up to 25" (ca 63 cm) tall.
- Double Elephant Folio: up to 50" (ca 127 cm) tall.
The largest extant medieval manuscript in the world is Codex Gigas 92 × 50 × 22 cm. The world's largest book made of stone is in Kuthodaw Pagoda (Burma).
The longest book title in the world is 670 words long.
Read more about this topic: Book
Other articles related to "sizes, size":
... Crochet thread comes in sizes from 3 to 100, although historically it came in much finer sizes, down to 200 ... Diameter is inversely proportional to number, so size 3 is nearly as thick as yarn and size 100 is as fine as sewing thread ... Thread may also be categorized by number of plies and size 10 thread is known as bedspread weight ...
... Ad sizes have been standardized to some extent by the IAB they are Sizes in bold are part of the IAB's Universal Ad Package ...
... As with models of cars, longarm sewing machines come in different types and sizes, with different features and options ... Sizes can range from smaller machines that allow the quilter to produce a small baby quilt to large machines that can accommodate sizes larger than a king sized quilt ...
... Bubble lights and twinkle bulbs also come in this size ... It is now very difficult to find twinkle bulbs in this size ... began appearing around 2004, are about twice this size, but are still very uncommon ...
... Color scrollers come in many different sizes and are mountable on nearly every type of conventional lighting instrument ... Sizes include 4 Inch (for smaller PAR 36 units) 6 to 7.5 Inch (fits ETC Source 4 19°, 26°, 36° and 50° units) 8 to 10 inch (fits PAR 64 ... units) 12 inch (fits large sized Fresnel ...