Avenue may refer to:
- Avenue (archaeology), a specialist term in archaeology referring to lines of stones
- Avenue (band), The X Factor UK contestants
- Avenue (landscape), a straight route with a line of trees or large shrubs running along each side
- Avenue (magazine), a former Dutch magazine
- "Avenue" (song), a 1992 single by British pop group Saint Etienne
- Avenue (store), a clothing store
- Other uses
- A GIS scripting language for ArcView 3.x
- A common name for any mediumly-high capacity road. See Dual carriageway
- Avenue of the Giants, a scenic highway in California
- Avenue of the Saints, a 560-mile highway that connects St. Paul, Minnesota, and St. Louis, Missouri
- The Avenue, a Rugby Union stadium in Sunbury-on-Thames, England
- Avenue is a common alternative for a street name
Other articles related to "avenue":
... The westernmost section surrounds Torrence Avenue, a north-south street ... Torrence Avenue leaves this part of Burnham via a bridge, with Chicago on the other side ... The eastern section surrounds Burnham Avenue, another north-south street ...
... de Medici decided to extend the axis of the Tuileries Garden with an avenue of trees ... The avenue was transformed by the landscape architect André Le Nôtre in 1667 according to the wishes of Louis XIV ... the grand axe of the Tuileries gardens from the planted "Avenue des Thuilleries," which was punctuated by a circular basin where the Rond-point des Champs-Élysées stands today ...
... Pennsylvania Avenue is a street in Washington, D.C ... Moreover, Pennsylvania Avenue is an important commuter route and is part of the National Highway System ...
... B8 Woodlands Sawtooth 857 A5-A8 Temasek Avenue (loop) End-on 859 B8 Sembawang Sawtooth 860 B4 Yishun Avenue 3 / Yishun Avenue 2 (loop) Sawtooth SMRT Express Service 854E B7 Bedok Sawtooth ...
... are numbered as either East/West or North/South from the intersection of Main Street and First Avenue ... roadway connecting Beech Grove to Indianapolis was Churchman Avenue, running northwest from Beech Grove ... The "original" city was built to the north of Churchman Avenue, on a north/south "grid" pattern with alleys, centered on the widened roads of Main ...
Famous quotes containing the word avenue:
“Only in America ... do these peasants, our mothers, get their hair dyed platinum at the age of sixty, and walk up and down Collins Avenue in Florida in pedalpushers and mink stolesand with opinions on every subject under the sun. It isnt their fault they were given a gift like speechlook, if cows could talk, they would say things just as idiotic.”
—Philip Roth (b. 1933)
“I hate to do what everybody else is doing. Why, only last week, on Fifth Avenue and some cross streets, I noticed that every feminine citizen of these United States wore an artificial posy on her coat or gown. I came home and ripped off every one of the really lovely refrigerator blossoms that were sewn on my own bodices.”
—Carolyn Wells (18621942)
“Along the avenue of cypresses,
All in their scarlet cloaks and surplices
Of linen, go the chanting choristers,
The priests in gold and black, the villagers. . . .”
—D.H. (David Herbert)