- January 18 – Kathleen Norris, novelist and wife of fellow-novelist Charles Gilman Norris, 85
- February 12 - Elio Vittorini, Italian novelist, 57
- March 10 – Frank O'Connor, short-story writer, 62
- April 1 – Flann O'Brien, satirist, 54 (heart attack)
- April 2 – C. S. Forester, Hornblower author, 66
- April 10 – Evelyn Waugh, novelist, biographer and travel writer, 62 (heart failure)
- April 13 – Georges Duhamel, French novelist, 81
- June 7 – Jean Arp, Alsatian sculptor, painter, and poet, 79
- June 10 – Henry Treece, historical novelist, 54
- June 30 – Margery Allingham, crime novelist, 62
- July 25 – Frank O'Hara, poet, 40 (ruptured liver)
- August 6 – Cordwainer Smith, science fiction author, 53 (heart attack)
- August 12 - Artur Alliksaar, Estonian poet, 43 (cancer)
- September 25 – Mina Loy, poet and artist, 83
- September 28 – André Breton, French Surrealist poet and author, 70
- October 30 - Yórgos Theotokás, Greek novelist, 60
- November 26 – Siegfried Kracauer, journalist and critic, 77
Read more about this topic: 1966 In Literature
Other articles related to "deaths, death":
... total 10.18 deaths/1,000 live births country comparison to the world 153 male 13.3 deaths/1,000 live births female 6.88 deaths/1,000 live births (2009) ...
... Births and deaths before WW I Year Average population (x 1000) Live births Deaths Natural change Crude birth rate (per 1000) Crude death rate (per 1000) Natural change (per 1000) Fertility rates 000. 65 ...
... also ranks 21st among the states in the rate of premature deaths, 7,100 per 100,000 ... lowest ever rate of infant mortality, at 6.7 deaths per 1,000 ... Americans experienced 28% more premature deaths than whites, while 13% of Virginians lack any health insurance ...
... for either political or criminal offenses, around 1.7 million deaths in the Gulags and some 390,000 deaths during kulak forced resettlement – with a total of about 3 million ... between 1943 and 1944 had reached 25%." Other notable exclusions from NKVD data on repression deaths include the Katyn massacre, other killings in the newly occupied areas, and the mass shootings of Red ... Also, the official statistics on Gulag mortality exclude deaths of prisoners taking place shortly after their release but which resulted from the harsh treatment in the camps ...
... The main three are deaths per billion passenger-journeys, deaths per billion passenger-hours and deaths per billion passenger-kilometers ...
Famous quotes containing the word deaths:
“On almost the incendiary eve
Of deaths and entrances ...”
—Dylan Thomas (19141953)
“You lived too long, we have supped full with heroes,
they waste their deaths on us.”
—C.D. Andrews (19131992)
“Death is too much for men to bear, whereas women, who are practiced in bearing the deaths of men before their own and who are also practiced in bearing life, take death almost in stride. They go to meet deaththat is, they attempt suicidetwice as often as men, though men are more successful because they use surer weapons, like guns.”
—Roger Rosenblatt (b. 1940)