- January 4 – T. S. Eliot, American/British poet and dramatist, 76
- January 12 – Lorraine Hansberry, journalist and dramatist, 34 (cancer)
- March 13 – Fan S. Noli, Albanian bishop and poet, 83
- May 3 – Howard Spring, novelist, 76
- June 5 – Thornton Burgess, children's author, 91
- June 13 - Martin Buber, Austrian-born Jewish philosopher, 87
- July 9 – Jacques Audiberti, French Absurdist dramatist, poet and novelist, 66
- July 28 – Rampo Edogawa, Japanese author and critic, 70
- July 30 – Jun'ichirō Tanizaki, Japanese novelist, 79
- July 31 – John Metcalfe, novelist and short story writer, 73
- August 17 – Jack Spicer, poet, 40 (alcohol-related)
- October 8 – Thomas B. Costain, popular historian, 80
- October 15 – Randall Jarrell, poet, 54 (road accident)
- October 30 – Arthur Schlesinger, Sr., American historian, 77
- November 8 – Dorothy Kilgallen, journalist, 52 (alcohol/drug overdose)
- November 20 – Katharine Anthony, biographer, 87
- December 16 – W. Somerset Maugham, dramatist, novelist and short story writer, 91
Read more about this topic: 1965 In Literature
Other articles related to "deaths, death":
... The main three are deaths per billion passenger-journeys, deaths per billion passenger-hours and deaths per billion passenger-kilometers ...
... total 10.18 deaths/1,000 live births country comparison to the world 153 male 13.3 deaths/1,000 live births female 6.88 deaths/1,000 live births (2009) ...
... political or criminal offenses, around 1.7 million deaths in the Gulags and some 390,000 deaths during kulak forced resettlement – with a total of about 3 ... and 1944 had reached 25%." Other notable exclusions from NKVD data on repression deaths include the Katyn massacre, other killings in the newly ... Also, the official statistics on Gulag mortality exclude deaths of prisoners taking place shortly after their release but which resulted from the harsh treatment in the camps ...
... Births and deaths before WW I Year Average population (x 1000) Live births Deaths Natural change Crude birth rate (per 1000) Crude death rate (per 1000) Natural change (per ...
... Virginia also ranks 21st among the states in the rate of premature deaths, 7,100 per 100,000 ... In 2008, Virginia reached its lowest ever rate of infant mortality, at 6.7 deaths per 1,000 ... in 2010 African Americans experienced 28% more premature deaths than whites, while 13% of Virginians lack any health insurance ...
Famous quotes containing the word deaths:
“On almost the incendiary eve
Of deaths and entrances ...”
—Dylan Thomas (19141953)
“As deaths have accumulated I have begun to think of life and death as a set of balance scales. When one is young, the scale is heavily tipped toward the living. With the first death, the first consciousness of death, the counter scale begins to fall. Death by death, the scales shift weight until what was unthinkable becomes merely a matter of gravity and the fall into death becomes an easy step.”
—Alison Hawthorne Deming (b. 1946)
“I sang of death but had I known
The many deaths one must have died
Before he came to meet his own!”
—Robert Frost (18741963)