- January 10 - Dashiell Hammett, crime writer and screenwriter, 66 (lung cancer)
- January 21 - Blaise Cendrars, Swiss novelist and poet, 73
- January 30 - Dorothy Thompson, influential journalist, 67
- May 26 - William Troy, writer and teacher, 57 (cancer)
- June 2 - George S. Kaufman, dramatist and critic, 71
- July 2 - Ernest Hemingway, novelist, 61 (suicide)
- July 12 - Mazo de la Roche, novelist, 82
- July 17 - Olga Forsh, Russian dramatist, novelist and memoirist, 88
- September 27 - H.D., poet, novelist and memoirist, 75
- October 19 - Mihail Sadoveanu, Romanian novelist, 80
- November 2 - James Thurber, humorist, 66
- December 7 - Roussan Camille, Haitian poet and journalist, 49
Read more about this topic: 1961 In Literature
Other articles related to "deaths, death":
... Virginia also ranks 21st among the states in the rate of premature deaths, 7,100 per 100,000 ... its lowest ever rate of infant mortality, at 6.7 deaths per 1,000 ... in 2010 African Americans experienced 28% more premature deaths than whites, while 13% of Virginians lack any health insurance ...
... Births and deaths before WW I Year Average population (x 1000) Live births Deaths Natural change Crude birth rate (per 1000) Crude death rate (per 1000) Natural change (per ...
800,000 prisoners under Stalin for either political or criminal offenses, around 1.7 million deaths in the Gulags and some 390,000 deaths during kulak forced resettlement – with a total of about 3 million ... notable exclusions from NKVD data on repression deaths include the Katyn massacre, other killings in the newly occupied areas, and the mass shootings of Red Army ... Also, the official statistics on Gulag mortality exclude deaths of prisoners taking place shortly after their release but which resulted from the harsh ...
... The main three are deaths per billion passenger-journeys, deaths per billion passenger-hours and deaths per billion passenger-kilometers ...
... total 10.18 deaths/1,000 live births country comparison to the world 153 male 13.3 deaths/1,000 live births female 6.88 deaths/1,000 live births (2009) ...
Famous quotes containing the word deaths:
“As deaths have accumulated I have begun to think of life and death as a set of balance scales. When one is young, the scale is heavily tipped toward the living. With the first death, the first consciousness of death, the counter scale begins to fall. Death by death, the scales shift weight until what was unthinkable becomes merely a matter of gravity and the fall into death becomes an easy step.”
—Alison Hawthorne Deming (b. 1946)
“You lived too long, we have supped full with heroes,
they waste their deaths on us.”
—C.D. Andrews (19131992)
“I sang of death but had I known
The many deaths one must have died
Before he came to meet his own!”
—Robert Frost (18741963)