- January 10 - Dashiell Hammett, crime writer and screenwriter, 66 (lung cancer)
- January 21 - Blaise Cendrars, Swiss novelist and poet, 73
- January 30 - Dorothy Thompson, influential journalist, 67
- May 26 - William Troy, writer and teacher, 57 (cancer)
- June 2 - George S. Kaufman, dramatist and critic, 71
- July 2 - Ernest Hemingway, novelist, 61 (suicide)
- July 12 - Mazo de la Roche, novelist, 82
- July 17 - Olga Forsh, Russian dramatist, novelist and memoirist, 88
- September 27 - H.D., poet, novelist and memoirist, 75
- October 19 - Mihail Sadoveanu, Romanian novelist, 80
- November 2 - James Thurber, humorist, 66
- December 7 - Roussan Camille, Haitian poet and journalist, 49
Read more about this topic: 1961 In Literature
Other articles related to "deaths, death":
... total 10.18 deaths/1,000 live births country comparison to the world 153 male 13.3 deaths/1,000 live births female 6.88 deaths/1,000 live births (2009) ...
... under Stalin for either political or criminal offenses, around 1.7 million deaths in the Gulags and some 390,000 deaths during kulak forced resettlement – with a total of about 3 million officially recorded. 1944 had reached 25%." Other notable exclusions from NKVD data on repression deaths include the Katyn massacre, other killings in the newly occupied areas, and the mass shootings of Red Army personnel (deserters and so ... Also, the official statistics on Gulag mortality exclude deaths of prisoners taking place shortly after their release but which resulted from the harsh treatment in the camps ...
... Births and deaths before WW I Year Average population (x 1000) Live births Deaths Natural change Crude birth rate (per 1000) Crude death rate (per 1000 ...
... The main three are deaths per billion passenger-journeys, deaths per billion passenger-hours and deaths per billion passenger-kilometers ...
... among the states in the rate of premature deaths, 7,100 per 100,000 ... In 2008, Virginia reached its lowest ever rate of infant mortality, at 6.7 deaths per 1,000 ... and social health disparities, in 2010 African Americans experienced 28% more premature deaths than whites, while 13% of Virginians lack any health insurance ...
Famous quotes containing the word deaths:
“Death is too much for men to bear, whereas women, who are practiced in bearing the deaths of men before their own and who are also practiced in bearing life, take death almost in stride. They go to meet deaththat is, they attempt suicidetwice as often as men, though men are more successful because they use surer weapons, like guns.”
—Roger Rosenblatt (b. 1940)
“You lived too long, we have supped full with heroes,
they waste their deaths on us.”
—C.D. Andrews (19131992)
“On almost the incendiary eve
Of deaths and entrances ...”
—Dylan Thomas (19141953)