- Rose Hills Memorial Park, the largest single-location cemetery in the world, is located at the western edge of the city limits.
- The Principia Discordia was revealed to its authors in the city's local bowling alley.
- Whittier is home to the following California Historical Landmarks
- Pio Pico State Historic Park, California Historical Landmark No. 127: The Casa de Governor Pío Pico/Home of Governor Pío Pico, home of the last Mexican Governor of California.
- California Historical Landmark No. 646: Grave of George Caralambo, (Greek George):
- California Historical Landmark No. 681: Paradox Hybrid Walnut Tree:
- California Historical Landmark No. 947: Reform School for Juvenile Offenders (Fred C. Nelles School — Closed May 27, 2004 and currently being redeveloped for business and residential use)
- Whittier Museum - 6755 Newlin Ave, Whittier 90601. Open to the public Saturdays and Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m. and is free of charge
- Whittier is the home to the following places listed in the National Register of Historic Places:
- Pio Pico House, 6003 Pioneer Blvd.
- Hoover Hotel, 7035 Greenleaf Ave.
- Southern Pacific Railroad Depot, 7333 Greenleaf Ave.
- Standard Oil Building, 7257 Bright Ave.
- Jonathan Bailey House, 13421 E. Camilla St.
- National Bank of Whittier Building, 13002 E. Philadelphia
- Orin Jordan House, 8310 S. Comstock Ave.
Other articles related to "places, place":
... For a full list of tourist attractions and places of interest see Places of interest in Buckinghamshire ...
... Three nations had four places, five nations had three places, thirteen nations had two places, and eleven nations only one place ...
... Museum - added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 Woodbridge Green Historic District - added to the National Register of Historic ...
... the Vatican supported the internationalization of Jerusalem, in order to keep the holy places away from either Israeli or Arab sovereignty ... - "with international guarantees" - freedom of access and worship at the holy places scattered throughout Palestine ... status" as the best form of protection for the holy places ...
... Wolds Way passes close to or through the following places Hessle North Ferriby Melton Welton Brantingham South Cave North Newbald Goodmanham Market ...
Famous quotes containing the word places:
“Of a truth, Knowledge is power, but it is a power reined by scruple, having a conscience of what must be and what may be; whereas Ignorance is a blind giant who, let him but wax unbound, would make it a sport to seize the pillars that hold up the long- wrought fabric of human good, and turn all the places of joy as dark as a buried Babylon.”
—George Eliot [Mary Ann (or Marian)
“Surely the day will come when color means nothing more than skin tone, when religion is seen uniquely as a way to speak ones soul; when birth places have the weight of a throw of the dice and all men are born free, when understanding breeds love and brotherhood.”
—Josephine Baker (19061975)
“Whence thou returnst, and whither wentst, I know;
For God is also in sleep; and dreams advise,
Which he hath sent propitious, some great good
Presaging, since, with sorrow and hearts distress,
Wearied I fell asleep: but now lead on;
In me is no delay; without thee here to stay,
Is to go hence unwilling; thou to me
Art all things under Heaven, all places thou,”
—John Milton (16081674)