White is the color of pure snow or milk. It is the color of light that contains all of the wavelengths of the visible spectrum without absorption. It is the opposite of black.
Read more about White.
Some articles on White:
... Evelyn Greenleaf Sutherland's play Po' White Trash, published in 1900, exposes complicated cultural tensions in the post-Reconstruction South, at the heart of which is ... the Suwanee (1948) explores images of 'white trash' women ... on abjection, waste, and the construction of class and gender identities among poor whites reflects the eugenics discourses of the 1920s ...
... After construction of the two prior white cloth halls in 1711 and 1756 there was a meeting in 1774 to plan the building of yet another cloth hall in Leeds ... During the Victorian period, the White Cloth Hall Yard played host to various events, including the circus, as evidenced by an 1858 poster for Pablo ... The Cupola from the demolished 2nd White Cloth Hall was installed on the roof in 1786 ...
... The upper parts are brown and heavily streaked, and the underparts are white with an orange hue on the flanks and some fine dark streaks ... The breeding male has a black head with white crown and moustachial stripes and throat ... yellow in the eyebrow, as well as at least a hint of a white stripe on the crown ...
... White trash is an American English pejorative term referring to poor white people in the United States, especially in the rural South, suggesting ... The term is usually a slur, but may also be used self-referentially by whites to jokingly describe their origins ...
... In the Disney film Bambi, he is a white-tailed deer, while in Felix Salten's original book Bambi, A Life in the Woods, he is a roe deer ... of Narnia series, the adult Pevensies, now kings and queens of Narnia, chase the White Stag on a hunt, as the Stag is said to grant its captor a wish ... In The Animals of Farthing Wood, a deer called The Great White Stag is the leader of all the animal residents of the nature reserve White Deer Park ...
More definitions of "White":
- (noun): The quality or state of the achromatic color of greatest lightness (bearing the least resemblance to black).
- (adj): Restricted to whites only.
Example: "Under segregation there were even white restrooms and white drinking fountains"; "a lily-white movement which would expel Negroes from the organization"
- (noun): United States educator who in 1865 (with Ezra Cornell) founded Cornell University and served as its first president (1832-1918).
Synonyms: Andrew D. White, Andrew Dickson White
- (adj): (of coffee) having cream or milk added.
- (adj): Ash-colored or anemic looking from illness or emotion.
Example: "Lips white with terror"; "a face white with rage"
Synonyms: ashen, blanched, bloodless, livid
- (adj): Being of the achromatic color of maximum lightness; having little or no hue owing to reflection of almost all incident light.
Example: "As white as fresh snow"; "a bride's white dress"
- (adj): Of or belonging to a racial group having light skin coloration.
Example: "Voting patterns within the white population"
- (adj): Glowing white with heat.
Example: "White flames"; "a white-hot center of the fire"
- (adj): Of summer nights in northern latitudes where the sun barely sets.
Example: "White nights"
- (verb): Turn white.
- (adj): (of hair) having lost its color.
Example: "The white hairs of old age"
- (adj): Marked by the presence of snow.
Example: "A white Christmas"; "the white hills of a northern winter"
- (noun): A tributary of the Mississippi River that flows southeastward through northern Arkansas and southern Missouri.
Synonyms: White River
- (adj): Dressed (or especially habited) in white.
Example: "White nuns"
- (noun): United States architect (1853-1906).
Synonyms: Stanford White
- (noun): (board games) the lighter pieces.
- (adj): Benevolent; without malicious intent.
Example: "White magic"; "a white lie"; "that's white of you"
- (adj): Free from moral blemish or impurity; unsullied.
Example: "In shining white armor"
Famous quotes containing the word white:
“No more the white refulgent streets,
Never the dry hollows of the mind
Shall he in fine courtesy walk
Again, for death is not unkind.”
—Allen Tate (18991979)
“I dont have any doubts that there will be a place for progressive white people in this country in the future. I think the paranoia common among white people is very unfounded. I have always organized my life so that I could focus on political work. Thats all I want to do, and thats all that makes me happy.”
—Hettie V., South African white anti-apartheid activist and feminist. As quoted in Lives of Courage, ch. 21, by Diana E. H. Russell (1989)
“To many women marriage is only this. It is merely a physical change impinging on their ordinary nature, leaving their mentality untouched, their self-possession intact. They are not burnt by even the red fire of physical passionfar less by the white fire of love.”
—Mary Webb (18811927)