White is the color of pure snow or milk. It is the color of light that contains all of the wavelengths of the visible spectrum without absorption. It is the opposite of black.
Read more about White.
Some articles on white:
... White trash is an American English pejorative term referring to poor white people in the United States, especially in the rural South, suggesting lower social class and ... The term is usually a slur, but may also be used self-referentially by whites to jokingly describe their origins ...
... are brown and heavily streaked, and the underparts are white with an orange hue on the flanks and some fine dark streaks ... The breeding male has a black head with white crown and moustachial stripes and throat ... some yellow in the eyebrow, as well as at least a hint of a white stripe on the crown ...
... After construction of the two prior white cloth halls in 1711 and 1756 there was a meeting in 1774 to plan the building of yet another cloth hall in Leeds ... During the Victorian period, the White Cloth Hall Yard played host to various events, including the circus, as evidenced by an 1858 poster for Pablo ... The Cupola from the demolished 2nd White Cloth Hall was installed on the roof in 1786 ...
... Evelyn Greenleaf Sutherland's play Po' White Trash, published in 1900, exposes complicated cultural tensions in the post-Reconstruction South, at the ... Zora Neale Hurston's Seraph on the Suwanee (1948) explores images of 'white trash' women ... on abjection, waste, and the construction of class and gender identities among poor whites reflects the eugenics discourses of the 1920s ...
... In the Disney film Bambi, he is a white-tailed deer, while in Felix Salten's original book Bambi, A Life in the Woods, he is a roe deer ... of Narnia series, the adult Pevensies, now kings and queens of Narnia, chase the White Stag on a hunt, as the Stag is said to grant its captor a wish ... Animals of Farthing Wood, a deer called The Great White Stag is the leader of all the animal residents of the nature reserve White Deer Park ...
More definitions of "white":
- (adj): Restricted to whites only.
Example: "Under segregation there were even white restrooms and white drinking fountains"; "a lily-white movement which would expel Negroes from the organization"
- (noun): The quality or state of the achromatic color of greatest lightness (bearing the least resemblance to black).
- (noun): United States architect (1853-1906).
Synonyms: Stanford White
- (noun): A tributary of the Mississippi River that flows southeastward through northern Arkansas and southern Missouri.
Synonyms: White River
- (adj): Free from moral blemish or impurity; unsullied.
Example: "In shining white armor"
- (verb): Turn white.
- (adj): Glowing white with heat.
Example: "White flames"; "a white-hot center of the fire"
- (adj): Benevolent; without malicious intent.
Example: "White magic"; "a white lie"; "that's white of you"
- (noun): United States writer noted for his humorous essays (1899-1985).
Synonyms: E. B. White, Elwyn Brooks White
- (noun): (board games) the lighter pieces.
- (noun): United States educator who in 1865 (with Ezra Cornell) founded Cornell University and served as its first president (1832-1918).
Synonyms: Andrew D. White, Andrew Dickson White
- (adj): Dressed (or especially habited) in white.
Example: "White nuns"
- (adj): (of hair) having lost its color.
Example: "The white hairs of old age"
- (adj): Ash-colored or anemic looking from illness or emotion.
Example: "Lips white with terror"; "a face white with rage"
Synonyms: ashen, blanched, bloodless, livid
- (adj): Being of the achromatic color of maximum lightness; having little or no hue owing to reflection of almost all incident light.
Example: "As white as fresh snow"; "a bride's white dress"
- (adj): Marked by the presence of snow.
Example: "A white Christmas"; "the white hills of a northern winter"
- (adj): Of summer nights in northern latitudes where the sun barely sets.
Example: "White nights"
- (adj): Of or belonging to a racial group having light skin coloration.
Example: "Voting patterns within the white population"
Famous quotes containing the word white:
“Every time I embrace a black woman Im embracing slavery, and when I put my arms around a white woman, well, Im hugging freedom. The white man forbade me to have the white woman on pain of death.... I will not be free until the day I can have a white woman in my bed.”
—Eldridge Cleaver (b. 1935)
Ive been looking at old-fashioned plaids, fingering
Starched white collars, wondering whether theres a way
To get them really white again. My wife
Thinks Im in OsloOslo, France, that is.”
—John Ashbery (b. 1927)
“It looks as if
Some pallid thing had squashed its features flat
And its eyes shut with overeagerness
To see what people found so interesting
In one another, and had gone to sleep
Of its own stupid lack of understanding,
Or broken its white neck of mushroom stuff
Short off, and died against the windowpane.”
—Robert Frost (18741963)