Some articles on part:
... Reformed under Lelyushenko and Govarov, it played a part in the last-ditch defence of Moscow, and then in the string of offensive and defensive ... The 5th Army itself only advanced as far as East Prussia before it was moved east to take part in the Soviet attack on Japan ... Since 1945 under the Soviet and now Russian flag it has formed part of the Far East Military District keeping watch on the border with the People's Republic of China ...
... The eastern part of the department, as well as its northern part along the Seine, is part of the Paris metropolitan area, but the rest of the department is ... Two regional parks can be found in Yvelines the parc of the Haute Vallée de Chevreuse and part of the parc of Vexin Français ...
... It rapidly became clear that it would be more useful as part of X than as a standalone program, so it was retargeted to X ... As Gettys tells the story, "part of why xterm's internals are so horrifying is that it was originally intended that a single process be able to drive multiple VS100 displays." After many ...
... was a small village named Gorelic in the region of Lusatia, which soon after became a part of Bohemia ... Thus the city was a part of the Prussian province of Silesia from 1815 until 1945 ... The German part retained the name Görlitz, while the Polish part became Zgorzelec ...
... During World War II, the division was reformed twice as part of two distinct armed forces once as part of the Home Army during the Warsaw Uprising and again as part of the Polish Army ...
More definitions of "part":
- (noun): An actor's portrayal of someone in a play.
Example: "She played the part of Desdemona"
Synonyms: character, role, theatrical role, persona
- (noun): Something determined in relation to something that includes it.
Example: "He wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"
Synonyms: portion, component part, component
- (noun): One of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole.
Example: "The written part of the exam"
Synonyms: section, division
- (noun): The extended spatial location of something.
- (noun): A line where the hair is parted.
Example: "His part was right in the middle"
- (noun): Any one of a number of individual efforts in a common endeavor.
Synonyms: contribution, share
- (noun): Something less than the whole of a human artifact.
Example: "The rear part of the house"
- (noun): The melody carried by a particular voice or instrument in polyphonic music.
Example: "He tried to sing the tenor part"
- (verb): Discontinue an association or relation; go different ways.
Synonyms: separate, split up, split, break, break up
- (noun): So far as concerns the actor specified.
Example: "It requires vigilance on our part" or "they resisted every effort on his part"
- (noun): Assets belonging to or due to or contributed by an individual person or group.
Synonyms: share, portion, percentage
- (noun): A portion of a natural object.
Famous quotes containing the word part:
“For the most part we stupidly confound one man with another. The dull distinguish only races or nations, or at most classes, but the wise man, individuals.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“Superstition, bigotry and prejudice, ghosts though they are, cling tenaciously to life; they are shades armed with tooth and claw. They must be grappled with unceasingly, for it is a fateful part of human destiny that it is condemned to wage perpetual war against ghosts. A shade is not easily taken by the throat and destroyed.”
—Victor Hugo (18021885)
“The variables are surprisingly few.... One can whip or be whipped; one can eat excrement or quaff urine; mouth and private part can be meet in this or that commerce. After which there is the gray of morning and the sour knowledge that things have remained fairly generally the same since man first met goat and woman.”
—George Steiner (b. 1929)