More definitions of "offer":
- (verb): Present for acceptance or rejection.
- (verb): Make available or accessible, provide or furnish.
Example: "The conference center offers a health spa"; "The hotel offers private meeting rooms"
- (noun): The verbal act of offering.
Example: "A generous offer of assistance"
- (verb): Produce or introduce on the stage.
Example: "The Shakespeare Company is offering 'King Lear' this month"
- (verb): Threaten to do something.
Example: "I offered to leave the committee if they did not accept my proposal"
- (verb): Make available; provide.
- (verb): Make available for sale.
Example: "The stores are offering specials on sweaters this week"
- (noun): Something offered (as a proposal or bid).
- (verb): Offer verbally.
- (verb): Present as an act of worship.
Example: "Offer prayers to the gods"
Synonyms: offer up
- (verb): Put forward for consideration.
Example: "He offered his opinion"
Famous quotes containing the word offer:
“The poet will prevail to be popular in spite of his faults, and in spite of his beauties too. He will hit the nail on the head, and we shall not know the shape of his hammer. He makes us free of his hearth and heart, which is greater than to offer one the freedom of a city.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“Of all the nations in the world, the United States was built in nobodys image. It was the land of the unexpected, of unbounded hope, of ideals, of quest for an unknown perfection. It is all the more unfitting that we should offer ourselves in images. And all the more fitting that the images which we make wittingly or unwittingly to sell America to the world should come back to haunt and curse us.”
—Daniel J. Boorstin (b. 1914)
“How could a man be satisfied with a decision between such alternatives and under such circumstances? No more than he can be satisfied with his hat, which hes chosen from among such shapes as the resources of the age offer him, wearing it at best with a resignation which is chiefly supported by comparison.”
—George Eliot [Mary Ann (or Marian)