More definitions of "meet":
- (verb): Get to know; get acquainted with.
Example: "I met this really handsome guy at a bar last night!"; "we met in Singapore"
- (verb): Get together socially or for a specific purpose.
Synonyms: get together
- (verb): Meet by design; be present at the arrival of.
Example: "Can you meet me at the train station?"
- (noun): A meeting at which a number of athletic contests are held.
Synonyms: sports meeting
- (adj): Being precisely fitting and right.
Example: "It is only meet that she should be seated first"
- (verb): Satisfy a condition or restriction.
Example: "Does this paper meet the requirements for the degree?"
Synonyms: fit, conform to
- (verb): Be adjacent or come together.
- (verb): Undergo or suffer.
Example: "Meet a violent death"
Famous quotes containing the word meet:
“I meet him at every turn. He is more alive than ever he was. He has earned immortality. He is not confined to North Elba nor to Kansas. He is no longer working in secret. He works in public, and in the clearest light that shines on this land.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“Working mothers are just as likely to want to conform to a standard of perfectionand just as likely to suffer from their failure to meet itas their stay-at-home counterparts.”
—Melinda M. Marshall (20th century)
“If we meet someone who owes us thanks, we right away remember that. But how often do we meet someone to whom we owe thanks without remembering that?”
—Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (17491832)