More definitions of "meet":
- (verb): Meet by design; be present at the arrival of.
Example: "Can you meet me at the train station?"
- (adj): Being precisely fitting and right.
Example: "It is only meet that she should be seated first"
- (verb): Be adjacent or come together.
- (verb): Undergo or suffer.
Example: "Meet a violent death"
- (noun): A meeting at which a number of athletic contests are held.
Synonyms: sports meeting
- (verb): Get to know; get acquainted with.
Example: "I met this really handsome guy at a bar last night!"; "we met in Singapore"
Famous quotes containing the word meet:
“If in the opinion of the Tsars authors were to be the servants of the state, in the opinion of the radical critics writers were to be the servants of the masses. The two lines of thought were bound to meet and join forces when at last, in our times, a new kind of regime the synthesis of a Hegelian triad, combined the idea of the masses with the idea of the state.”
—Vladimir Nabokov (18991977)
“Wonder at all he meets,
Wonderer chiefly at himself,
Who can tell him what he is?
Or how meet in human elf
Coming and past eternities?”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“I sang of death but had I known
The many deaths one must have died
Before he came to meet his own!”
—Robert Frost (18741963)