More definitions of "meet":
- (verb): Get to know; get acquainted with.
Example: "I met this really handsome guy at a bar last night!"; "we met in Singapore"
- (verb): Be adjacent or come together.
- (noun): A meeting at which a number of athletic contests are held.
Synonyms: sports meeting
- (verb): Undergo or suffer.
Example: "Meet a violent death"
- (verb): Meet by design; be present at the arrival of.
Example: "Can you meet me at the train station?"
- (adj): Being precisely fitting and right.
Example: "It is only meet that she should be seated first"
Famous quotes containing the word meet:
“She comes to meet death,
To stain the altar of the goddess,
To hold her girl-throat
Toward the knife-thrust.”
—Hilda Doolittle (18861961)
“We should meet each morning, as from foreign countries, and spending the day together, should depart at night, as into foreign countries.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“I have lately got back to that glorious society called Solitude, where we meet our friends continually, and can imagine the outside world also to be peopled. Yet some of my acquaintance would fain hustle me into the almshouse for the sake of society, as if I were pining for that diet, when I seem to myself a most befriended man, and find constant employment. However, they do not believe a word I say.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)