A last is a form in the approximate shape of a human foot, used by shoemakers and cordwainers in the manufacture and repair of shoes. Lasts typically come in pairs, and throughout their history have been made from many materials, including hardwoods, cast iron, and, more recently, high density plastics.
Read more about Last.
Some articles on last:
... Empress Wu Zetian is angry at this and hesitant over it but at last agrees, thinking of what's good for Tang ... Dan-ni is Suk-yeong's son so has the last Goguryeo royal blood while Geom has the blood of the Khitan tribe, through his mother Chu-lin but Geom demonstrates unusual talent, leadership abilities ...
... He was elected President of the Karnataka Provincial Congress Committee four times and participated in the Dandi March (Salt Satyagraha) ... Next he offered individual Satyagraha, though he was in poor health ...
... Cordwainers, or bespoke shoemakers, often use lasts specifically designed to the proportions of individual customers' feet ...
More definitions of "last":
- (adj): Not to be altered or undone.
Example: "The arbiter will have the last say"
- (noun): Holding device shaped like a human foot that is used to fashion or repair shoes.
Synonyms: shoemaker's last, cobbler's last
- (noun): A person's dying act; the last thing a person can do.
Example: "He breathed his last"
- (adj): Occurring at or forming an end or termination.
Example: "The last days of the dinosaurs"
Synonyms: concluding, final, terminal
- (adj): Occurring at the time of death.
Example: "His last words"; "the last rites"
- (adj): Most unlikely or unsuitable.
Example: "The last person we would have suspected"; "the last man they would have chosen for the job"
- (noun): The time at which life ends; continuing until dead.
Example: "A struggle to the last"
- (adv): More recently than any other time.
Example: "I saw him last in London"
Synonyms: most recently
- (verb): Continue to live; endure or last.
Synonyms: survive, live, live on, go, endure, hold up, hold out
- (adj): Coming after all others in time or space or degree or being the only one remaining.
Example: "The last time I saw Paris"; "the last day of the month"; "had the last word"; "waited until the last minute"; "he raised his voice in a last supreme call"; "the last game of the season"; "down to his last nickel"
- (noun): The last or lowest in an ordering or series.
Example: "He was the last to leave"; "he finished an inglorious last"
- (noun): A unit of capacity for grain equal to 80 bushels.
- (noun): The concluding parts of an event or occurrence.
Example: "I had to miss the last of the movie"
Synonyms: end, final stage
- (adv): The item at the end.
Example: "Last, I'll discuss family values"
Synonyms: lastly, in conclusion, finally
- (noun): A unit of weight equal to 4,000 pounds.
- (noun): The temporal end; the concluding time.
Synonyms: stopping point, finale, finis, finish, conclusion, close
- (adj): Immediately past.
Example: "Last Thursday"; "the last chapter we read"
- (adj): In accord with the most fashionable ideas or style.
Example: "The last thing in swimwear"
Synonyms: latest, newest, up-to-date, cutting-edge, with-it
- (verb): Persist or be long; in time.
Famous quotes containing the word last:
“Last came, and last did go,
The pilot of the Galilean lake.”
—John Milton (16081674)