A last is a form in the approximate shape of a human foot, used by shoemakers and cordwainers in the manufacture and repair of shoes. Lasts typically come in pairs, and throughout their history have been made from many materials, including hardwoods, cast iron, and, more recently, high density plastics.
Read more about Last.
Some articles on last:
... Empress Wu Zetian is angry at this and hesitant over it but at last agrees, thinking of what's good for Tang ... Dan-ni is Suk-yeong's son so has the last Goguryeo royal blood while Geom has the blood of the Khitan tribe, through his mother Chu-lin but Geom demonstrates ...
... Cordwainers, or bespoke shoemakers, often use lasts specifically designed to the proportions of individual customers' feet ...
... He was elected President of the Karnataka Provincial Congress Committee four times and participated in the Dandi March (Salt Satyagraha) ... Next he offered individual Satyagraha, though he was in poor health ...
More definitions of "last":
- (noun): Holding device shaped like a human foot that is used to fashion or repair shoes.
Synonyms: shoemaker's last, cobbler's last
- (noun): A person's dying act; the last thing a person can do.
Example: "He breathed his last"
- (verb): Continue to live; endure or last.
Synonyms: survive, live, live on, go, endure, hold up, hold out
- (noun): The time at which life ends; continuing until dead.
Example: "A struggle to the last"
- (adj): Highest in extent or degree.
Example: "To the last measure of human endurance"; "whether they were accomplices in the last degree or a lesser one was...to be determined individually"
- (adj): In accord with the most fashionable ideas or style.
Example: "The last thing in swimwear"
Synonyms: latest, newest, up-to-date, cutting-edge, with-it
- (adv): More recently than any other time.
Example: "I saw him last in London"
Synonyms: most recently
- (adj): Not to be altered or undone.
Example: "The arbiter will have the last say"
- (noun): The temporal end; the concluding time.
Synonyms: stopping point, finale, finis, finish, conclusion, close
- (noun): The last or lowest in an ordering or series.
Example: "He was the last to leave"; "he finished an inglorious last"
- (noun): A unit of weight equal to 4,000 pounds.
- (adj): Occurring at or forming an end or termination.
Example: "The last days of the dinosaurs"
Synonyms: concluding, final, terminal
- (adj): Most unlikely or unsuitable.
Example: "The last person we would have suspected"; "the last man they would have chosen for the job"
- (adj): Coming after all others in time or space or degree or being the only one remaining.
Example: "The last time I saw Paris"; "the last day of the month"; "had the last word"; "waited until the last minute"; "he raised his voice in a last supreme call"; "the last game of the season"; "down to his last nickel"
- (adj): Occurring at the time of death.
Example: "His last words"; "the last rites"
- (verb): Persist or be long; in time.
- (noun): A unit of capacity for grain equal to 80 bushels.
- (adj): Lowest in rank or importance.
Example: "Last prize"; "in last place"
Synonyms: last-place, lowest
- (adj): Immediately past.
Example: "Last Thursday"; "the last chapter we read"
Famous quotes containing the word last:
“Last came, and last did go,
The pilot of the Galilean lake.”
—John Milton (16081674)