Some articles on land, lands:
... In 1995 Land Rover endorsed the production of a hand-made bicycle using its logo ... The bicycle was called the Land Rover APB and was manufactured by Pashley Cycles, of Stratford-upon-Avon, being the collapsible version of their Moulton designed APB (All ... Two more models immediately followed the Land Rover XCB V-20 and was aimed primarily at younger riders (children) and the Land Rover XCB D-26, also available as the M26 being one of the first ...
... Land Rovers were manufactured primarily at the Solihull plant, near Birmingham, but production of the Freelander was moved to the Halewood Body Assembly plant near Liverpool, a former Ford car plant ... is also assembled in knock-down kit (CKD) form at Land Rover's facility in Pune, India ... In May 2010, Tata Motors announced that it plans to build Land Rover and Jaguar models in China as the company seeks to cut costs and expand sales ...
... Yomi or Yomi-no-kuni (黄泉 or 黄泉の国?) is the Japanese word for the land of the dead (World of Darkness) ... Once one has eaten at the hearth of Yomi it is impossible to return to the land of the living ... "central land of reed plains", located on earth?), and Yomo-tsu-kuni (黄泉国?) or Yomi-no-Kuni (黄泉の国, lit ...
... the Arctic coast, catapulting the issue of land ownership into headlines ... The plan was approved, but a permit to construct the pipeline, which would cross lands involved in the native dispute, could not be granted until the Native ... which abrogated Native claims to aboriginal lands ...
... Power take-off (PTO) was integral to the Land Rover concept from 1948, enabling farm machinery and many other items to be run with the vehicle stationary ... can be bolted to the PTO gearbox casing." PTOs remained regular options on Series I, II and III Land Rovers up to the demise of the Series Land Rover in 1985 ... Land Rover (the Series/Defender models) is that they are available in a variety of body styles, from a simple canvas-topped pick-up truck to a twelve-seat fully trimmed station wagon ...
More definitions of "land":
- (noun): Territory over which rule or control is exercised.
Example: "He made it the law of the land"
Synonyms: domain, demesne
- (adj): Operating or living or growing on land.
- (noun): The solid part of the earth's surface.
Example: "The plane turned away from the sea and moved back over land"
Synonyms: dry land, earth, ground, solid ground, terra firma
- (noun): A politically organized body of people under a single government.
Example: "An industrialized land"
Synonyms: state, nation, country, commonwealth, res publica, body politic
- (noun): Working the land as an occupation or way of life.
Example: "There's no work on the land any more"
- (adj): Relating to or characteristic of or occurring on land.
Example: "Land vehicles"
- (noun): Material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use).
Example: "The land had never been plowed"
Synonyms: ground, soil
- (noun): The land on which real estate is located.
Example: "He built the house on land leased from the city"
- (verb): Bring ashore.
Example: "The drug smugglers landed the heroin on the beach of the island"
- (noun): The territory occupied by a nation.
Example: "He returned to the land of his birth"
Synonyms: country, state
- (verb): Deliver (a blow).
Example: "He landed several blows on his opponent's head"
- (verb): Reach or come to rest.
Synonyms: set down
- (noun): Extensive landed property (especially in the country) retained by the owner for his own use.
Synonyms: estate, landed estate, acres, demesne
- (noun): A domain in which something is dominant.
Example: "A land of make-believe"
Synonyms: kingdom, realm
- (verb): Cause to come to the ground.
Example: "The pilot managed to land the airplane safely"
Synonyms: put down, bring down
- (noun): United States inventor who incorporated Polaroid film into lenses and invented the one-step photographic process (1909-1991).
Synonyms: Din Land, Edwin Herbert Land
- (verb): Bring into a different state.
Example: "This may land you in jail"
Famous quotes containing the word land:
“My country, tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims pride,
From every mountain-side
Let freedom ring!”
—Samuel Francis Smith (18081895)
“America does not concern itself now with Impressionism. We own no involved philosophy. The psyche of the land is to be found in its movement. It is to be felt as a dramatic force of energy and vitality. We move; we do not stand still. We have not yet arrived at the stock-taking stage.”
—Martha Graham (18941991)
“It is a noble land that God has given us: a land that can feed and clothe the world; a land whose coastlines would enclose half the countries of Europe; a land set like a sentinel between the two imperial oceans of the globe.”
—Albert J. Beveridge (18621927)