Some articles on land, lands:
... Land Rovers were manufactured primarily at the Solihull plant, near Birmingham, but production of the Freelander was moved to the Halewood Body Assembly plant near Liverpool, a former Ford ... The Freelander is also assembled in knock-down kit (CKD) form at Land Rover's facility in Pune, India ... In May 2010, Tata Motors announced that it plans to build Land Rover and Jaguar models in China as the company seeks to cut costs and expand sales ...
... Power take-off (PTO) was integral to the Land Rover concept from 1948, enabling farm machinery and many other items to be run with the vehicle stationary ... regular options on Series I, II and III Land Rovers up to the demise of the Series Land Rover in 1985 ... Land Rover (the Series/Defender models) is that they are available in a variety of body styles, from a simple canvas-topped pick-up truck to a twelve-seat fully trimmed ...
... Yomi or Yomi-no-kuni (黄泉 or 黄泉の国?) is the Japanese word for the land of the dead (World of Darkness) ... "central land of reed plains", located on earth?), and Yomo-tsu-kuni (黄泉国?) or Yomi-no-Kuni (黄泉の国, lit ... "Land of Yomi"?, located underground) ...
... In 1995 Land Rover endorsed the production of a hand-made bicycle using its logo ... The bicycle was called the Land Rover APB and was manufactured by Pashley Cycles, of Stratford-upon-Avon, being the collapsible version of their Moulton designed APB (All ... Two more models immediately followed the Land Rover XCB V-20 and was aimed primarily at younger riders (children) and the Land Rover XCB D-26, also available as the M26 being one of the first ...
... at Prudhoe Bay on the Arctic coast, catapulting the issue of land ownership into headlines ... to construct the pipeline, which would cross lands involved in the native dispute, could not be granted until the Native claims had been settled ... signed into law by President Nixon, which abrogated Native claims to aboriginal lands ...
More definitions of "land":
- (noun): Working the land as an occupation or way of life.
Example: "There's no work on the land any more"
- (verb): Bring into a different state.
Example: "This may land you in jail"
- (noun): Material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use).
Example: "The land had never been plowed"
Synonyms: ground, soil
- (verb): Reach or come to rest.
Synonyms: set down
- (verb): Bring ashore.
Example: "The drug smugglers landed the heroin on the beach of the island"
- (verb): Deliver (a blow).
Example: "He landed several blows on his opponent's head"
- (noun): The solid part of the earth's surface.
Example: "The plane turned away from the sea and moved back over land"
Synonyms: dry land, earth, ground, solid ground, terra firma
- (noun): United States inventor who incorporated Polaroid film into lenses and invented the one-step photographic process (1909-1991).
Synonyms: Din Land, Edwin Herbert Land
- (noun): The territory occupied by a nation.
Example: "He returned to the land of his birth"
Synonyms: country, state
- (noun): The land on which real estate is located.
Example: "He built the house on land leased from the city"
- (noun): Extensive landed property (especially in the country) retained by the owner for his own use.
Synonyms: estate, landed estate, acres, demesne
- (noun): A domain in which something is dominant.
Example: "A land of make-believe"
Synonyms: kingdom, realm
- (adj): Operating or living or growing on land.
- (noun): A politically organized body of people under a single government.
Example: "An industrialized land"
Synonyms: state, nation, country, commonwealth, res publica, body politic
- (adj): Relating to or characteristic of or occurring on land.
Example: "Land vehicles"
- (verb): Cause to come to the ground.
Example: "The pilot managed to land the airplane safely"
Synonyms: put down, bring down
Famous quotes containing the word land:
“I have observed the misery of my people who are in Egypt; I have heard their cry on account of their taskmasters. Indeed, I know their sufferings, and I have come down to deliver them from the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey, to the country of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites.”
—Bible: Hebrew, Exodus 3:7,8.
“I traveld thro a Land of Men
A Land of Men & Women too,
And heard & saw such dreadful things
As cold Earth wanderers never knew.”
—William Blake (17571827)
“The land was our before we were the lands.
She was our land more than a hundred years
Before we were her people.”
—Robert Frost (18741963)