Some articles on host:
... Host station, railway stations in Melbourne, Australia with toilets etc ... Host, an author abbreviation in botany for Nicolaus Thomas Host ...
... flow control between processes running on different ARPANET host computers ... on top of NCP, using it to handle connections to other host computers ... The host usually connected to an IMP using another kind of interface, with different physical, data link and network layer specifications ...
... Prix (Scatman John, Yūsaka Kimura and Louis Armstrong) Oha Suta (Main host, as "Yama-chan") Seiyū Club (Host) Shall We Dance? SmaSTATION!! (Guest appearance) Takeshi Tokoro no WA Fu Kita! (Hos ...
... Some remoras associate primarily with specific host species ... The relationship between a remora and its perfect host is most often taken to be one of commensalism, specifically phoresy ... The host to which it attaches for transport gains nothing from the relationship, but also loses little ...
... The Microsoft Windows Script Host (WSH) is an automation technology for Microsoft Windows operating systems that provides scripting abilities comparable to batch files ... It was originally called Windows Scripting Host, but was renamed for the second release ... Windows Script Host is distributed and installed by default on Windows 98 and later versions of Windows ...
More definitions of "host":
- (noun): Archaic terms for army.
- (noun): (computer science) a computer that provides client stations with access to files and printers as shared resources to a computer network.
- (noun): A person who acts as host at formal occasions (makes an introductory speech and introduces other speakers).
Synonyms: master of ceremonies, emcee
- (noun): A person who invites guests to a social event (such as a party in his or her own home) and who is responsible for them while they are there.
- (verb): Be the host of or for.
Example: "We hosted 4 couples last night"
- (noun): Any organization that provides resources and facilities for a function or event.
Example: "Atlanta was chosen to be host for the Olympic Games"
- (noun): (medicine) recipient of transplanted tissue or organ from a donor.
- (noun): An animal or plant that nourishes and supports a parasite; the host does not benefit and is often harmed by the association.
Famous quotes containing the word host:
“Nothing is quite so wretchedly corrupt as an aristocracy which has lost its power but kept its wealth and which still has endless leisure to devote to nothing but banal enjoyments. All its great thoughts and passionate energy are things of the past, and nothing but a host of petty, gnawing vices now cling to it like worms to a corpse.”
—Alexis de Tocqueville (18051859)
“The Landlord is a gentleman ... who does not earn his wealth. He has a host of agents and clerks that receive for him. He does not even take the trouble to spend his wealth. He has a host of people around him to do the actual spending. He never sees it until he comes to enjoy it. His sole function, his chief pride, is the stately consumption of wealth produced by others.”
—David Lloyd George (18631945)
“For the shoe pinches, even though it fits perfectly.
Apples were made to be gathered, also the whole host of the worlds ailments and troubles.
There is no time like the present for giving in to this temptation.
Tomorrow youll weep what of it?”
—John Ashbery (b. 1927)