Some articles on grant:
... Grant National Historic Site is a 9.65-acre (39,100 m2) United States National Historic Site located 10 miles (16 km) southwest of Downtown St ... Grant ... Five historic structures are preserved at the site including the childhood home of Julia Dent Grant, wife of Ulysses S ...
... Grant, the 18th President of the United States and general of the Union during the American Civil War Frederick Dent Grant, son of the 18th President ...
... Valentine Grant (February 14, 1881, Frankfort, Indiana – March 12, 1949, Orange County, California) was an American silent film actress ... Grant became the companion of film director Sidney Olcott who cast her in his 1915 production of Nan o' the Backwoods ... Grant also appeared in several films for other companies such as Lubin Studios in Philadelphia and for Famous Players-Lasky ...
... Grant, Halleck's former subordinate in the West, was promoted to lieutenant general and general in chief, Halleck was relegated to chief of staff, responsible for the administration of the vast U.S ... Grant and the War Department took special care to let Halleck down gently ... Halleck's administrative capabilities complemented Grant nicely and they worked well together ...
... Grant had emerged as the frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination after being the Union commander in the Civil War ... To balance Grant, a former Democrat and a hard drinker, the convention chose House Speaker Schuyler Colfax, a former Whig and temperance man, for Vice ... In Grant's acceptance telegram he said "Let us have peace", which captured the imagination of the American people ...
More definitions of "Grant":
- (noun): A right or privilege that has been granted.
- (noun): A contract granting the right to operate a subsidiary business.
- (noun): Scottish painter; cousin of Lytton Strachey and member of the Bloomsbury Group (1885-1978).
Synonyms: Duncan Grant, Duncan James Corrow Grant
- (noun): Any monetary aid.
- (verb): Bestow, especially officially.
Example: "Grant a degree"
- (noun): (law) a transfer of property by deed of conveyance.
- (verb): Give over; surrender or relinquish to the physical control of another.
Synonyms: concede, yield, cede
- (verb): Let have.
Example: "Grant permission"
- (verb): Transfer by deed.
Example: "Grant land"
Synonyms: deed over
- (noun): 18th President of the United States; commander of the Union armies in the American Civil War (1822-1885).
Synonyms: Ulysses Grant, Ulysses S. Grant, Ulysses Simpson Grant, Hiram Ulysses Grant, President Grant
- (noun): United States actor (born in England) who was the elegant leading man in many films (1904-1986).
Synonyms: Cary Grant
Famous quotes containing the word grant:
“If anybody could overthrow the spoils doctrine and practice, Grant is the man. It has been thought impossible hitherto, but I hope with some confidence that he will win.”
—Rutherford Birchard Hayes (18221893)
“Its not a pretty face, I grant you. But underneath its flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.”
—Alan Jay Lerner (19181986)
“Let no guilty man escape, if it can be avoided.... No personal considerations should stand in the way of performing a duty.”
—Ulysses S. Grant (18221885)