More definitions of "get":
- (verb): Leave immediately; used usually in the imperative form.
Synonyms: scram, buzz off, fuck off, bugger off
- (verb): Come to have or undergo a change of (physical features and attributes).
Synonyms: grow, develop, produce, acquire
- (verb): Grasp with the mind or develop an undersatnding of.
Example: "Did you get it?"; "She didn't get the joke"; "I just don't get him"
- (verb): Receive as a retribution or punishment.
- (verb): Apprehend and reproduce accurately.
- (verb): Take the first step or steps in carrying out an action.
Example: "Get working as soon as the sun rises!"; "Let's get down to work now"
Synonyms: get down, begin, start out, start, set about, set out, commence
- (verb): Reach and board.
Example: "She got the bus just as it was leaving"
- (verb): In baseball: earn or achieve a base by being walked by the pitcher.
- (verb): Reach a destination; arrive by movement or progress.
Example: "She didn't get to Chicago until after midnight"
Synonyms: arrive, come
- (verb): Suffer from the receipt of.
- (verb): Acquire as a result of some effort or action.
Example: "You cannot get water out of a stone"; "Where did she get these news?"
- (verb): Go or come after and bring or take back.
Example: "Get me those books over there, please"
Synonyms: bring, convey, fetch
- (verb): Reach with a blow or hit in a particular spot.
- (verb): Cause to do; cause to act in a specified manner.
Synonyms: induce, stimulate, cause, have, make
- (verb): Communicate with a place or person; establish communication with, as if by telephone.
Example: "Bill called this number and he got Mary"; "The operator couldn't get Kobe because of the earthquake"
- (verb): Give certain properties to something.
Example: "Get someone mad"
- (verb): Purchase.
Example: "What did you get at the toy store?"
- (verb): Irritate.
Example: "Her childish behavior really get to me"
Synonyms: get under one's skin
- (verb): Evoke an emotional response.
Example: "Brahms's 'Requiem' gets me every time"
- (verb): Overcome or destroy.
Example: "The ice storm got my hibiscus"; "the cat got the goldfish"
- (verb): Of mental or physical states or experiences.
Example: "Get an idea"; "get nauseous"
Synonyms: experience, receive, have, undergo
- (verb): Come into the possession of something concrete or abstract.
Example: "Get your results the next day"; "Get permission to take a few days off from work"
- (verb): Reach by calculation.
Example: "What do you get when you add up these numbers?"
- (verb): Perceive by hearing.
Example: "She didn't get his name when they met the first time"