More definitions of "fling":
- (verb): Throw or cast away.
Synonyms: discard, toss, toss out, toss away, chuck out, cast aside, dispose, throw out, cast out, throw away, cast away, put away
- (noun): A brief indulgence of your impulses.
- (verb): Throw with force or recklessness.
Example: "Fling the frisbee"
- (verb): Move in an abrupt or headlong manner.
Example: "He flung himself onto the sofa"
- (noun): The act of flinging.
Famous quotes containing the word fling:
“Come round me, little childer;
There, dont fling stones at me
Because I mutter as I go;
But pity Moll Magee.”
—William Butler Yeats (18651939)
“An aged thrush, frail, gaunt, and small,
In blast-beruffled plume,
Had chosen thus to fling his soul
Upon the growing gloom.”
—Thomas Hardy (18401928)
“Earth does not understand her child,
Who from the loud gregarious town
Returns, depleted and defiled,
To the still woods, to fling him down.”
—Edna St. Vincent Millay (18921950)