More definitions of "expression":
- (noun): A group of words that form a constituent of a sentence and are considered as a single unit.
Synonyms: construction, grammatical construction
- (noun): Expression without words.
Example: "Tears are an expression of grief"
Synonyms: manifestation, reflection, reflexion
- (noun): A word or phrase that particular people use in particular situations.
Example: "Pardon the expression"
Synonyms: saying, locution
- (noun): A group of symbols that make a mathematical statement.
- (noun): The style of expressing yourself.
Example: "His manner of expression showed how much he cared"
- (noun): The expression on a person's face.
Example: "A sad expression"
Synonyms: look, aspect, facial expression, face
- (noun): The act of forcing something out by squeezing or pressing.
Example: "The expression of milk from her breast"
- (noun): (genetics) the process of expressing a gene.
Famous quotes containing the word expression:
“Every production of an artist should be the expression of an adventure of his soul.”
—W. Somerset Maugham (18741965)
“All expression of truth does at length take this deep ethical form.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“I never heard a single expression of fondness for him fall from the lips of any of those who knew him well.”
—Thomas Babington Macaulay (18001859)