Black is the color of coal, ebony, and the night sky. It is the very darkest color, the result of the absence of or complete absorption of light. It is the opposite of white.
Read more about Black.
Some articles on black:
... it achieves a stable condition after formation, a black hole has only three independent physical properties mass, charge, and angular momentum ... Any two black holes that share the same values for these properties, or parameters, are indistinguishable according to classical (i.e ... These properties are special because they are visible from outside a black hole ...
... In the United States, "Black Friday" (the day after Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November) is traditionally the busiest shopping day of ... Later an alternative explanation began to be offered that "Black Friday" indicates the point in the year that retailers begin to turn a profit, or are "in the black", because of ... "In the black" means profitable ...
... Ca3Fe2(SiO4)3, is of variable composition and may be red, yellow, brown, green or black ... The recognized varieties are topazolite (yellow or green), demantoid (green) and melanite (black) ... Topazolite is a golden-yellow variety and melanite is a black variety ...
... Tolkien's doubly artificial language the Black Speech ... prominent within the early Norwegian black metal scene ... Burzum is considered one of the most influential acts in black metal in Metal A Headbanger's Journey, director Sam Dunn described Vikernes as "the most notorious metal ...
... The story is about a black railroad worker, who falls in love with a black school teacher, who is the town’s preacher’s daughter ... But a Man is one of the most sensitive films about black life ever made in this country” ...
More definitions of "black":
- (adj): Of or belonging to a racial group having dark skin especially of sub-Saharan African origin.
Example: "A great people--a black people--...injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization"- Martin Luther King Jr.
- (noun): A person with dark skin who comes from Africa (or whose ancestors came from Africa).
Synonyms: Black person, blackamoor, Negro, Negroid
- (adj): Marked by anger or resentment or hostility.
Example: "Black looks"; "black words"
- (adj): (of events) having extremely unfortunate or dire consequences; bringing ruin.
Example: "The stock market crashed on Black Friday"
Synonyms: calamitous, disastrous, fatal, fateful
- (noun): Total absence of light.
Example: "In the black of night"
Synonyms: total darkness, lightlessness, blackness, pitch blackness
- (adj): Soiled with dirt or soot.
Example: "With feet black from playing outdoors"; "his shirt was black within an hour"
- (noun): Popular child actress of the 1930's (born 1927).
Synonyms: Shirley Temple Black, Shirley Temple
- (noun): Black clothing (worn as a sign of mourning).
Example: "The widow wore black"
- (noun): British chemist who identified carbon dioxide and who formulated the concepts of specific heat and latent heat (1728-1799).
Synonyms: Joseph Black
- (adj): (used of conduct or character) deserving or bringing disgrace or shame.
Synonyms: disgraceful, ignominious, inglorious, opprobrious, shameful
- (adj): (of the face) made black especially as with suffused blood.
Example: "A face black with fury"
- (adj): (of intelligence operations) deliberately misleading.
Example: "Black propaganda"
- (adj): Being of the achromatic color of maximum darkness; having little or no hue owing to absorption of almost all incident light.
Example: "Black leather jackets"; "as black as coal"; "rich black soil"
- (adj): Distributed or sold illicitly.
Example: "The black economy pays no taxes"
Synonyms: bootleg, black-market, contraband, smuggled
- (adj): (of coffee) without cream or sugar.
- (adj): Extremely dark.
Example: "A black moonless night"; "through the pitch-black woods"
Synonyms: pitch-black, pitch-dark
- (noun): (board games) the darker pieces.
- (noun): The quality or state of the achromatic color of least lightness (bearing the least resemblance to white).
- (adj): Dressed in black.
Example: "A black knight"; "black friars"
Famous quotes containing the word black:
“I know no East or West, North or South, when it comes to my class fighting the battle for justice. If it is my fortune to live to see the industrial chain broken from every workingmans child in America, and if then there is one black child in Africa in bondage, there shall I go.”
—Mother Jones (18301930)
“Im afraid to look in the mirror. Im afraid Im going to see an old lady with white hair, just like the old ladies in the park. A little bundle in a black shawl just waiting for the coffin.”
—Paddy Chayefsky (19231981)
“All your ages
Matt and glossy on the thick black pages!”
—Philip Larkin (19221985)