Black is the color of coal, ebony, and the night sky. It is the very darkest color, the result of the absence of or complete absorption of light. It is the opposite of white.
Read more about Black.
Some articles on black:
... garnet, Ca3Fe2(SiO4)3, is of variable composition and may be red, yellow, brown, green or black ... or green), demantoid (green) and melanite (black) ... Topazolite is a golden-yellow variety and melanite is a black variety ...
... In the United States, "Black Friday" (the day after Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November) is traditionally the busiest shopping day of the year ... Later an alternative explanation began to be offered that "Black Friday" indicates the point in the year that retailers begin to turn a profit, or are "in the black", because of the large ... "In the black" means profitable ...
... Tolkien's doubly artificial language the Black Speech ... The project quickly became prominent within the early Norwegian black metal scene ... Burzum is considered one of the most influential acts in black metal in Metal A Headbanger's Journey, director Sam Dunn described Vikernes as "the most notorious metal ...
... theorem states that, once it achieves a stable condition after formation, a black hole has only three independent physical properties mass, charge, and angular momentum ... Any two black holes that share the same values for these properties, or parameters, are indistinguishable according to classical (i.e ... These properties are special because they are visible from outside a black hole ...
... The story is about a black railroad worker, who falls in love with a black school teacher, who is the town’s preacher’s daughter ... Post, "Nothing But a Man is one of the most sensitive films about black life ever made in this country” ...
More definitions of "black":
- (adj): (used of conduct or character) deserving or bringing disgrace or shame.
Synonyms: disgraceful, ignominious, inglorious, opprobrious, shameful
- (adj): Dressed in black.
Example: "A black knight"; "black friars"
- (noun): (board games) the darker pieces.
- (noun): British chemist who identified carbon dioxide and who formulated the concepts of specific heat and latent heat (1728-1799).
Synonyms: Joseph Black
- (adj): Being of the achromatic color of maximum darkness; having little or no hue owing to absorption of almost all incident light.
Example: "Black leather jackets"; "as black as coal"; "rich black soil"
- (adj): Distributed or sold illicitly.
Example: "The black economy pays no taxes"
Synonyms: bootleg, black-market, contraband, smuggled
- (adj): (of coffee) without cream or sugar.
- (adj): Marked by anger or resentment or hostility.
Example: "Black looks"; "black words"
- (noun): Total absence of light.
Example: "In the black of night"
Synonyms: total darkness, lightlessness, blackness, pitch blackness
- (adj): (of events) having extremely unfortunate or dire consequences; bringing ruin.
Example: "The stock market crashed on Black Friday"
Synonyms: calamitous, disastrous, fatal, fateful
- (noun): Black clothing (worn as a sign of mourning).
Example: "The widow wore black"
- (adj): Extremely dark.
Example: "A black moonless night"; "through the pitch-black woods"
Synonyms: pitch-black, pitch-dark
- (adj): Soiled with dirt or soot.
Example: "With feet black from playing outdoors"; "his shirt was black within an hour"
- (noun): A person with dark skin who comes from Africa (or whose ancestors came from Africa).
Synonyms: Black person, blackamoor, Negro, Negroid
- (noun): Popular child actress of the 1930's (born 1927).
Synonyms: Shirley Temple Black, Shirley Temple
- (adj): Of or belonging to a racial group having dark skin especially of sub-Saharan African origin.
Example: "A great people--a black people--...injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization"- Martin Luther King Jr.
- (adj): (of the face) made black especially as with suffused blood.
Example: "A face black with fury"
- (noun): The quality or state of the achromatic color of least lightness (bearing the least resemblance to white).
- (adj): (of intelligence operations) deliberately misleading.
Example: "Black propaganda"
Famous quotes containing the word black:
“Sometimes we see a cloud thats dragonish,
A vapor sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory
With trees upon t that nod unto the world
And mock our eyes with air. Thou hast seen these signs;
They are black vespers pageants.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)
“Besides black art, there is only automation and mechanization.”
—Federico García Lorca (18981936)
“Of course Im a black writer.... Im not just a black writer, but categories like black writer, woman writer and Latin American writer arent marginal anymore. We have to acknowledge that the thing we call literature is more pluralistic now, just as society ought to be. The melting pot never worked. We ought to be able to accept on equal terms everybody from the Hassidim to Walter Lippmann, from the Rastafarians to Ralph Bunche.”
—Toni Morrison (b. 1931)