Black is the color of coal, ebony, and the night sky. It is the very darkest color, the result of the absence of or complete absorption of light. It is the opposite of white.
Read more about Black.
Some articles on black:
... and may be red, yellow, brown, green or black ... varieties are topazolite (yellow or green), demantoid (green) and melanite (black) ... Topazolite is a golden-yellow variety and melanite is a black variety ...
... a stable condition after formation, a black hole has only three independent physical properties mass, charge, and angular momentum ... Any two black holes that share the same values for these properties, or parameters, are indistinguishable according to classical (i.e ... special because they are visible from outside a black hole ...
... The story is about a black railroad worker, who falls in love with a black school teacher, who is the town’s preacher’s daughter ... "Nothing But a Man is one of the most sensitive films about black life ever made in this country” ...
... In the United States, "Black Friday" (the day after Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November) is traditionally the busiest shopping day of the year ... Later an alternative explanation began to be offered that "Black Friday" indicates the point in the year that retailers begin to turn a profit, or are "in ... "In the black" means profitable ...
... Tolkien's doubly artificial language the Black Speech ... The project quickly became prominent within the early Norwegian black metal scene ... Burzum is considered one of the most influential acts in black metal in Metal A Headbanger's Journey, director Sam Dunn described Vikernes as "the most notorious ...
More definitions of "black":
- (adj): Stemming from evil characteristics or forces; wicked or dishonorable.
Example: "Black deeds"; "a black lie"; "his black heart has concocted yet another black deed"
Synonyms: dark, sinister
- (noun): The quality or state of the achromatic color of least lightness (bearing the least resemblance to white).
- (adj): Marked by anger or resentment or hostility.
Example: "Black looks"; "black words"
- (adj): Extremely dark.
Example: "A black moonless night"; "through the pitch-black woods"
Synonyms: pitch-black, pitch-dark
- (noun): A person with dark skin who comes from Africa (or whose ancestors came from Africa).
Synonyms: Black person, blackamoor, Negro, Negroid
- (adj): (of events) having extremely unfortunate or dire consequences; bringing ruin.
Example: "The stock market crashed on Black Friday"
Synonyms: calamitous, disastrous, fatal, fateful
- (adj): (of intelligence operations) deliberately misleading.
Example: "Black propaganda"
- (adj): (of coffee) without cream or sugar.
- (noun): Black clothing (worn as a sign of mourning).
Example: "The widow wore black"
- (adj): Soiled with dirt or soot.
Example: "With feet black from playing outdoors"; "his shirt was black within an hour"
- (adj): (of the face) made black especially as with suffused blood.
Example: "A face black with fury"
- (adj): (used of conduct or character) deserving or bringing disgrace or shame.
Synonyms: disgraceful, ignominious, inglorious, opprobrious, shameful
- (adj): Dressed in black.
Example: "A black knight"; "black friars"
- (noun): Popular child actress of the 1930's (born 1927).
Synonyms: Shirley Temple Black, Shirley Temple
- (adj): Of or belonging to a racial group having dark skin especially of sub-Saharan African origin.
Example: "A great people--a black people--...injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization"- Martin Luther King Jr.
- (adj): Distributed or sold illicitly.
Example: "The black economy pays no taxes"
Synonyms: bootleg, black-market, contraband, smuggled
- (noun): (board games) the darker pieces.
- (noun): Total absence of light.
Example: "In the black of night"
Synonyms: total darkness, lightlessness, blackness, pitch blackness
- (adj): Being of the achromatic color of maximum darkness; having little or no hue owing to absorption of almost all incident light.
Example: "Black leather jackets"; "as black as coal"; "rich black soil"
Famous quotes containing the word black:
“Thus while I sit and sigh the day
With all his borrowd lights away,
Till nights black wings do overtake me,
Thinking on thee, thy beauties then,
As sudden lights do sleepy men,
So they by their bright rays awake me.”
—Sir John Suckling (16091642)
“A white face goes with a white mind. Occasionally a black face goes with a white mind. Very seldom a white face will have a black mind.”
—Nikki Giovanni (b. 1943)
“I cant think of a single supposedly Black issue that hasnt wasted the original Black target group and then spread like the measles to outlying white experience.”
—June Jordan (b. 1936)