More definitions of "bid":
- (noun): A formal proposal to buy at a specified price.
- (verb): Make a demand, as for a card or a suit or a show of hands.
- (noun): An attempt to get something.
Example: "He made a bid to gain attention"
- (noun): (bridge) the number of tricks a bridge player is willing to contract to make.
- (verb): Ask someone in a friendly way to do something.
- (noun): An authoritative direction or instruction to do something.
Synonyms: command, bidding, dictation
- (verb): Ask for or request earnestly.
Example: "The prophet bid all people to become good persons"
Synonyms: beseech, entreat, adjure, press, conjure
- (verb): Make a serious effort to attain something.
Example: "His campaign bid for the attention of the poor population"