A bay is a large body of water connected to an ocean or sea formed by an inlet of land due to the surrounding land blocking some waves and often reducing winds. Bays also exist as an inlet in a lake or pond. A large bay may be called a gulf, a sea, a sound, or a bight. A cove is a circular or oval coastal inlet with a narrow entrance; some coves may be referred to as bays.
Read more about Bay.
Some articles on bay:
... Andrews Bay met in Panama City to select a name for a proposed new county ... The name Bay was selected because it was satisfactory to the majority of the citizens and was descriptive of the territory that would be included ... On July 1, 1913, Bay County was created by the Legislature from portions of Washington, Calhoun and Walton counties ...
... At Hudson Bay’s northwest corner, some 200 km (120 mi) northeast of Chesterfield Inlet, near the Capes Fullerton and Kendall, is the entrance of Roes Welcome Sound, which extends northwards between ... Wager Bay is an inlet of Roes Welcome Sound, pretty much in its geographical center, near Cape Dobbs ... Wager Bay is the core of the national park ...
... Ella Bay is a national park in Queensland, Australia, 1329 km northwest of Brisbane ... It can be reached via Fly Fish Point on Ella Bay Road ...
... Yakutat Bay is a 29-km-wide (18 mi) bay in the U.S ... state of Alaska, extending southwest from Disenchantment Bay to the Gulf of Alaska ... Yakutat Bay was the epicenter of two major earthquakes on September 10, 1899, a magnitude 7.4 foreshock and a magnitude 8.0 main shock, 37 minutes apart ...
... Yowie Bay is a suburb in southern Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia ... Yowie Bay is located 24 kilometres south of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the Sutherland Shire ... Yowie Bay takes its name from the small bay on the north shore of the Port Hacking estuary (also known locally as the Port Hacking River) ...
More definitions of "bay":
- (noun): A compartment in an aircraft used for some specific purpose.
Example: "He opened the bomb bay"
- (noun): A small recess opening off a larger room.
- (noun): The sound of a hound on the scent.
- (adj): (used of animals especially a horse) of a moderate reddish-brown color.
- (noun): A compartment on a ship between decks; often used as a hospital.
Example: "They put him in the sick bay"
- (noun): An indentation of a shoreline larger than a cove but smaller than a gulf.
- (noun): Small Mediterranean evergreen tree with small blackish berries and glossy aromatic leaves used for flavoring in cooking; also used by ancient Greeks to crown victors.
Synonyms: true laurel, bay laurel, bay tree, Laurus nobilis
- (verb): Utter in deep prolonged tones.
- (noun): A horse of a moderate reddish-brown color.