More definitions of "application":
- (noun): The work of applying something.
Example: "The doctor prescribed a topical application of iodine"
Synonyms: coating, covering
- (noun): A diligent effort.
Example: "It is a job requiring serious application"
- (noun): A program that gives a computer instructions that provide the user with tools to accomplish a task.
Synonyms: application program, applications programme
- (noun): Liquid preparation having a soothing or antiseptic or medicinal action when applied to the skin.
- (noun): A verbal or written request for assistance or employment or admission to a school.
Example: "December 31 is the deadline for applications"
Famous quotes containing the word application:
“It would be disingenuous, however, not to point out that some things are considered as morally certain, that is, as having sufficient certainty for application to ordinary life, even though they may be uncertain in relation to the absolute power of God.”
—René Descartes (15961650)
“The best political economy is the care and culture of men; for, in these crises, all are ruined except such as are proper individuals, capable of thought, and of new choice and the application of their talent to new labor.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“I think that a young state, like a young virgin, should modestly stay at home, and wait the application of suitors for an alliance with her; and not run about offering her amity to all the world; and hazarding their refusal.... Our virgin is a jolly one; and tho at present not very rich, will in time be a great fortune, and where she has a favorable predisposition, it seems to me well worth cultivating.”
—Benjamin Franklin (17061790)