More definitions of "application":
- (noun): Liquid preparation having a soothing or antiseptic or medicinal action when applied to the skin.
- (noun): A diligent effort.
Example: "It is a job requiring serious application"
- (noun): The work of applying something.
Example: "The doctor prescribed a topical application of iodine"
Synonyms: coating, covering
- (noun): A verbal or written request for assistance or employment or admission to a school.
Example: "December 31 is the deadline for applications"
- (noun): The act of bringing something to bear; using it for a particular purpose.
Example: "He advocated the application of statistics to the problem"; "a novel application of electronics to medical diagnosis"
Synonyms: practical application
Famous quotes containing the word application:
“I think that a young state, like a young virgin, should modestly stay at home, and wait the application of suitors for an alliance with her; and not run about offering her amity to all the world; and hazarding their refusal.... Our virgin is a jolly one; and tho at present not very rich, will in time be a great fortune, and where she has a favorable predisposition, it seems to me well worth cultivating.”
—Benjamin Franklin (17061790)
“The application requisite to the duties of the office I hold [governor of Virginia] is so excessive, and the execution of them after all so imperfect, that I have determined to retire from it at the close of the present campaign.”
—Thomas Jefferson (17431826)
“May my application so close
To so endless a repetition
Not make me tired and morose
And resentful of mans condition.”
—Robert Frost (18741963)