West Shore School District

West Shore School District, is a large, suburban, public school district with its main office located in Lewisberry, Pennsylvania.The Superintendent is Jemry Small. This district serves students in eastern Cumberland County and northern York County. It serves the municipalities of Lemoyne, New Cumberland and Wormleysburg boroughs and Lower Allen Township in Cumberland County; Goldsboro and Lewisberry boroughs, Fairview Township and Newberry Township in York County. West Shore School District encompasses approximately 78 square miles (200 km2). According to 2000 federal census data, it serves a resident population of 57,960 people. In 2009, the district residents' per capita income was $24,740, while the median family income was $57,500. According to District officials, in school year 2007–08 the West Shore School District provided basic educational services to 8,016 pupils through the employment of 670 teachers, 451 full-time and part-time support personnel, and 43 administrators. The West Shore School District received more than $23.2 million in state funding in school year 2007–08. According to a district report 58% of the pupils live in York County, while 42% reside in Cumberland County.

Based on enrollment, the school district is the largest serving Cumberland County and one of the largest in the greater Harrisburg metropolitan area. It was formed in 1966 from four small Cumberland County districts and one school district in York County. About 58 percent of the district’s students come from York County, with the remaining 42 percent coming from Cumberland County. Eighty percent of the district's area resides in York County.

The district operates two high schools (grades 9–12). Most students from Cumberland County attend Cedar Cliff High School and most of the York County students attend Red Land High School. The district also operates four middle schools (grades 6–8), and ten elementary schools (grades K-5). Total enrollment as of 2005–06 is 8,344 students.

Read more about West Shore School DistrictGovernance, Schools, Academic Achievement, Elementary Schools, Special Education, Bullying Policy, Budget, Wellness Policy, Extracurriculars

Other articles related to "west shore school district, district, school":

West Shore School District - Extracurriculars - Sports
... The District funds Cedar Cliff HIgh School Boys Baseball - AAAA Basketball - AAAA Cross Country - AAA Football - AAAA Golf - AAA Soccer - AAA Swimming ...

Famous quotes containing the words district, school, west and/or shore:

    Most works of art, like most wines, ought to be consumed in the district of their fabrication.
    Rebecca West (1892–1983)

    While most of today’s jobs do not require great intelligence, they do require greater frustration tolerance, personal discipline, organization, management, and interpersonal skills than were required two decades and more ago. These are precisely the skills that many of the young people who are staying in school today, as opposed to two decades ago, lack.
    James P. Comer (20th century)

    For some reason a nation feels as shy about admitting that it ever went forth to war for the sake of more wealth as a man would about admitting that he had accepted an invitation just for the sake of the food. This is one of humanity’s most profound imbecilities, as perhaps the only justification for asking one’s fellowmen to endure the horrors of war would be the knowledge that if they did not fight they would starve.
    —Rebecca West (1892–1983)

    We saw by the flitting clouds, by the first russet tinge on the hills, by the rushing river, the cottages on shore, and the shore itself, so coolly fresh and shining with dew, and later in the day, by the hue of the grape-vine, the goldfinch on the willow, the flickers flying in flocks, and when we passed near enough to the shore, as we fancied, by the faces of men, that the fall had commenced.
    Henry David Thoreau (1817–1862)