Vice President Of Costa Rica
The 1949 Constitution of Costa Rica established two Vice-Presidencies of Costa Rica, which are directly elected through a popular vote on a ticket with the President for a period of four years, with no immediate re-election. There has been various incarnations of the office. Vice Presidents replace the President in cases of temporary or permanent absence.
Throughout the history of independent Costa Rica, there have been different systems to cover the temporary or permanent absence of a President. Several different names have been used for this position:
- From 1821 to 1824, the Governing Committee (Junta) selected a Vice-President.
- From 1824 to 1841 there was a Vice-Head-of-State who was popularly elected.
- From 1841 to 1842 there was a Second-Head-of-State, elected for life by popular vote.
- From 1842 to 1844 there was a Vice-Head-of-State selected by the Constitutional Assembly.
- From 1846 to 1847 there was a popularly-elected Vice-Head-of-State.
- From 1847 to 1848 there was a Vice-President of the State, elected by popular vote.
- From 1848 to 1859 there was a Vice-President of the Republic, selected through popular election.
- From 1859 to 1949 there was a system of Designates to the Presidency, usually selected by the Legislature.
- Since 1949 there have been two popularly elected Vice Presidents.
The following tables contain a list of the officials elected to the Vice-Presidential position since 1821.
Read more about Vice President Of Costa Rica: Vice Presidents of The Governing Committees of Costa Rica (1821- 1824), Vice-Heads-of-State of Costa Rica (1824-1841), Second Heads of State (1841-1842), Vice-Heads-of-State (1842-1844; 1846-1847), Vice-Presidents of State (1847-1848), Vice-Presidents of The Republic of Costa Rica (1848-1859), Designates To The Presidency 1859-1881, Designates To The Presidency 1881-1882, Designates To The Presidency 1882-1948, Vice-Presidents of Costa Rica (since 1948)
Other articles related to "vice president of costa rica, costa, vice presidents, president, vice, of costa rica, presidents":
... In accordance with the Costa Rican constitution of 7 November 1949 there are two vice presidents, popularly elected at the same time as the President ... Vice-Presidents of Costa Rica Period of Mandate Notes 1) Alberto Oreamuno Flores 2) Alfredo Volio Mata Elected Vice-Presidents of the Republic for the period 1949-1953 Both acted as interim Presidents 1) Raúl ...
Famous quotes containing the words president and/or vice:
“I dont have any problem with a reporter or a news person who says the President is uninformed on this issue or that issue. I dont think any of us would challenge that. I do have a problem with the singular focus on this, as if thats the only standard by which we ought to judge a president. What we learned in the last administration was how little having an encyclopedic grasp of all the facts has to do with governing.”
—David R. Gergen (b. 1942)
“Only conservatives believe that subversion is still being carried on in the arts and that society is being shaken by it.... Advanced art today is no longer a causeit contains no moral imperative. There is no virtue in clinging to principles and standards, no vice in selling or in selling out.”
—Harold Rosenberg (19061978)