References To Popular Culture
- The last line of "Pressing On" is from The Mary Tyler Moore Show theme.
- "Maybe It's Maybeline" (deliberately misspelled, much like the band's name) refers to the popular Maybelline line of beauty products and its tag line.
- The title of "Lion Wilson" is a play on Brian Wilson. "Lion Wilson" is the first of many Relient K songs to draw heavily from the style of Wilson and his band The Beach Boys, both of which Relient K lead singer Matthew Thiessen often references as major influences on his music.
- "May the Horse Be with You" makes references to Mister Ed and Star Wars.
- "Breakfast at Timpani's" is a play on Breakfast at Tiffany's.
- "I'm Lion-O" refers to the main character of the popular 1980s cartoon, ThunderCats.
- The song title "Failure To Excommunicate" is a reference to the famous line from the film Cool Hand Luke, "What we've got here is a failure to communicate."
- "Those Words Are Not Enough" is a reference to the 007 film The World Is Not Enough.
- "The Rest is Up to You" features the same bass line as "Hit or Miss" by New Found Glory, and pays homage by starting the verse with the lyric "I was just about to quote Mark Twain". The line is in reference to the title of New Found Glory's album Nothing Gold Can Stay, which features the song "Hit or Miss (Waited Too Long)".
Read more about this topic: The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek
Other articles related to "references to popular culture, popular, references to, reference, popular culture":
... Rex Burns, a character in the book, bears a striking resemblance to Richard Simmons ... Upon receiving a copy of the book, Simmons later responded to the author, "Thank you for your kind words and sense of humor ...
... It was the 10th most popular name for girls born in the United States in 2007 and the 88th most popular name for females in the 1990 census there ... It was the 89th most popular name for girls born in England and Wales in 2007 the 94th most popular name for girls born in Scotland in 2007 the 13th most popular name for girls born in Spain in 2006 the fifth most ...
... Versus the First Kill," the Buy More plot makes several references to The Godfather, particularly the scene between Big Mike and Morgan in the home theater room ... carrying Anna out of the Buy More to the applause of his coworkers is a reference to the film, An Officer and a Gentleman ... The playground horse that is used as an entrance to Fulcrum's secret base is a reference to the opening scene and Sarah Connor's dream in Terminator 2 ...
... Early twentieth-century popular scientific literature began to pique a broader interest in entomology ... The very popular ten-volume book series, Alfred Brehem’s Thierleben (Life of Animals, 1876–1879) expounded on many zoological topics, including ... and entomology became an established part of Western popular culture, which in turn inspired other scientists to continue and expand upon his research ...
... Many of the islands have been popular seaside resorts since the 19th century ... walking on the sandy flats at low tide, has become popular in the Wadden Sea ... It is also a popular region for pleasure boating ...
Famous quotes containing the words culture and/or popular:
“Our culture still holds mothers almost exclusively responsible when things go wrong with the kids. Sensing this ultimate accountability, women are understandably reluctant to give up control or veto power. If the finger of blame was eventually going to point in your direction, wouldnt you be?”
—Ron Taffel (20th century)
“Lawyers are necessary in a community. Some of you ... take a different view; but as I am a member of that legal profession, or was at one time, and have only lost standing in it to become a politician, I still retain the pride of the profession. And I still insist that it is the law and the lawyer that make popular government under a written constitution and written statutes possible.”
—William Howard Taft (18571930)