Swedish writers awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature, and the year it was awarded to them:
- Selma Lagerlöf, 1909 — "In appreciation of the lofty idealism, vivid imagination and spiritual perception that characterize her writings"
- Verner von Heidenstam, 1916 — "In recognition of his significance as the leading representative of a new era in our literature"
- Erik Axel Karlfeldt, 1931 — "For the poetry of Erik Axel Karlfeldt". The acceptance speech elaborates: " The Swede would say that we celebrate this poet because he represents our character with a style and a genuineness that we should like to be ours, and because he has sung with singular power and exquisite charm of the tradition of our people, of all the precious features which are the basis for our feeling for home and country in the shadow of the pine-covered mountains.".
- Pär Lagerkvist, 1951 — "For the artistic vigour and true independence of mind with which he endeavours in his poetry to find answers to the eternal questions confronting mankind"
- Eyvind Johnson, 1974 (joint) — "For a narrative art, far-seeing in lands and ages, in the service of freedom"
- Harry Martinson, 1974 (joint) — "For writings that catch the dewdrop and reflect the cosmos"
- Tomas Tranströmer, 2011 — "Because, through his condensed, translucent images, he gives us fresh access to reality"
Read more about this topic: Swedish Poetry
Other articles related to "nobel laureates, nobel":
... See also Nobel Prize and List of Nobel laureates by university affiliation Name Class year Notability References Jack Steinberger — Corecipient of the 1998 Nobel Prize in Physics "for the ...
... Roger Guillemin, Nobel Prize Laureate (Medicine, 1977). ...
... of controversy over its academic standards, no other public college has produced as many Nobel laureates who have studied and graduated with a degree ... CCNY's official quote on this is "Nine Nobel laureates claim CCNY as their Alma Mater, the most from any public college in the United States." This should not be confused with Nobel laureates who teach at ...
... The Nobel Prizes are awarded annually by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, the Karolinska Institute, and the Norwegian Nobel Committee to individuals who ... established by the 1895 will of Alfred Nobel, which dictates that the awards should be administered by the Nobel Foundation ... Another prize, the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences, was established in 1968 by the Sveriges Riksbank, the central bank of Sweden, for contributors to the field of economics ...
Famous quotes containing the word nobel:
“Parents can fail to cheer your successes as wildly as you expected, pointing out that you are sharing your Nobel Prize with a couple of other people, or that your Oscar was for supporting actress, not really for a starring role. More subtly, they can cheer your successes too wildly, forcing you into the awkward realization that your achievement of merely graduating or getting the promotion did not warrant the fireworks and brass band.”
—Frank Pittman (20th century)