Substance may refer to:
- Chemical substance, a material with a definite chemical composition
- Drug substance
- Substance abuse, drug-related healthcare and social policy diagnosis or label
- Substance dependence, drug-related healthcare and social policy diagnosis or label
- Matter, anything that has mass and takes up space
- Substance theory, theory positing that a substance is distinct from its properties
- Substantial (rapper) a US musician
- Substance (Joy Division album), 1988
- Substance (Blank & Jones album), 2002
- Substance 1987, a New Order album
- "Substance", a song by Haste the Day from That They May Know You
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, an update of the video game Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
- Homoousian, a Christian term meaning "same substance"
Other articles related to "substance, substances":
... Shilajit is a substance mainly found in the Altai, Himalaya, and Caucasus mountains of Central Asia ... It should not be confused with ozokerite, also a humic substance, similar in appearance, but apparently without medicinal qualities ... sell mumijo, while in fact they are offering cheap raw ozokerite, a substance used, for example, in cosmetics ...
... with his non-dualistic thinking, Dewey does not draw a sharp distinction between substance and form ... be no distinction drawn, save in reflection, between form and substance.” For Dewey, substance is different from subject ... Nightingale has a nightingale for a subject, but for Dewey the substance of the poem is the poem ...
... an intoxicated state without a preference for one particular substance ... alcohol is commonly used with another substance ... by one study on polysubstance use that separated participants who used multiple substances into groups based on their preferred drug ...
... down for 2 1/2 days due to an unknown substance ... and the tests were inconclusive as to what chemical/substance was released ... The person(s) was never found that might have released the substance, although it was suspected to be a student's doing trying to avoid exams ...
... and rehabilitation programmes for those whose lives are blighted by substance misuse, crime and lack of opportunity ... CRI's service users include Adults and young people with substance misuse problems People who are homeless and living and working on the streets Offenders in prison and those ...
Famous quotes containing the word substance:
“But they that hold God to be [an incorporeal substance] ... do absolutely make God to be nothing at all. But how? Were they atheists? No. For though by ignorance of the consequence they said that which was equivalent to atheism, yet in their hearts they thought God a substance ... So that this atheism by consequence is a very easy thing to be fallen into, even by the most godly men of the church.”
—Thomas Hobbes (15881679)
“We are nothing but ceremony; ceremony carries us away, and we leave the substance of things; we hang on to the branches and abandon the trunk and body.”
—Michel de Montaigne (15331592)
“Strong be thy wallis that about the standis;
Wise be the people that within the dwellis;
Fresh is thy ryver with his lusty strandis;
Blith be thy chirches, wele sownyng be thy bellis;
Riche be thy merchauntis in substance that excellis
Fair be thy wives, right lovesom, white and small;
Clere be thy virgyns, lusty under kellis:
London, thou art the flour of Cities all.”
—William Dunbar (c. 1465c. 1530)