Substance may refer to:
- Chemical substance, a material with a definite chemical composition
- Drug substance
- Substance abuse, drug-related healthcare and social policy diagnosis or label
- Substance dependence, drug-related healthcare and social policy diagnosis or label
- Matter, anything that has mass and takes up space
- Substance theory, theory positing that a substance is distinct from its properties
- Substantial (rapper) a US musician
- Substance (Joy Division album), 1988
- Substance (Blank & Jones album), 2002
- Substance 1987, a New Order album
- "Substance", a song by Haste the Day from That They May Know You
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, an update of the video game Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
- Homoousian, a Christian term meaning "same substance"
Other articles related to "substance, substances":
... being in an intoxicated state without a preference for one particular substance ... that alcohol is commonly used with another substance ... This is supported by one study on polysubstance use that separated participants who used multiple substances into groups based on their preferred drug ...
... Shilajit is a substance mainly found in the Altai, Himalaya, and Caucasus mountains of Central Asia ... It should not be confused with ozokerite, also a humic substance, similar in appearance, but apparently without medicinal qualities ... while in fact they are offering cheap raw ozokerite, a substance used, for example, in cosmetics ...
... non-dualistic thinking, Dewey does not draw a sharp distinction between substance and form ... drawn, save in reflection, between form and substance.” For Dewey, substance is different from subject ... to a Nightingale has a nightingale for a subject, but for Dewey the substance of the poem is the poem ...
... In January 2011 the school was shut down for 2 1/2 days due to an unknown substance ... hygienist company and the tests were inconclusive as to what chemical/substance was released ... was never found that might have released the substance, although it was suspected to be a student's doing trying to avoid exams ...
... programmes for those whose lives are blighted by substance misuse, crime and lack of opportunity ... CRI's service users include Adults and young people with substance misuse problems People who are homeless and living and working on the streets Offenders in prison and those serving community sentences ...
Famous quotes containing the word substance:
“Just as a chemist isolates a substance from contaminations that distort his view of its nature and effects, so the work of art purifies significant appearance. It presents abstract themes in their generality, but not reduced to diagrams.”
—Rudolf Arnheim (b. 1904)
“Leave everything. Leave Dada. Leave your wife. Leave your mistress. Leave your hopes and fears. Leave your children in the woods. Leave the substance for the shadow. Leave your easy life, leave what you are given for the future. Set off on the roads.”
—André Breton (18961966)
“What is a country without rabbits and partridges? They are among the most simple and indigenous animal products; ancient and venerable families known to antiquity as to modern times; of the very hue and substance of Nature, nearest allied to leaves and to the ground,and to one another; it is either winged or it is legged. It is hardly as if you had seen a wild creature when a rabbit or a partridge bursts away, only a natural one, as much to be expected as rustling leaves.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)