Substance may refer to:
- Chemical substance, a material with a definite chemical composition
- Drug substance
- Substance abuse, drug-related healthcare and social policy diagnosis or label
- Substance dependence, drug-related healthcare and social policy diagnosis or label
- Matter, anything that has mass and takes up space
- Substance theory, theory positing that a substance is distinct from its properties
- Substantial (rapper) a US musician
- Substance (Joy Division album), 1988
- Substance (Blank & Jones album), 2002
- Substance 1987, a New Order album
- "Substance", a song by Haste the Day from That They May Know You
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, an update of the video game Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
- Homoousian, a Christian term meaning "same substance"
Other articles related to "substance, substances":
... Consistent with his non-dualistic thinking, Dewey does not draw a sharp distinction between substance and form ... be no distinction drawn, save in reflection, between form and substance.” For Dewey, substance is different from subject ... to a Nightingale has a nightingale for a subject, but for Dewey the substance of the poem is the poem ...
... down for 2 1/2 days due to an unknown substance ... cleaned by a industrial hygienist company and the tests were inconclusive as to what chemical/substance was released ... The person(s) was never found that might have released the substance, although it was suspected to be a student's doing trying to avoid exams ...
... Shilajit is a substance mainly found in the Altai, Himalaya, and Caucasus mountains of Central Asia ... It should not be confused with ozokerite, also a humic substance, similar in appearance, but apparently without medicinal qualities ... pretend to sell mumijo, while in fact they are offering cheap raw ozokerite, a substance used, for example, in cosmetics ...
... treatment and rehabilitation programmes for those whose lives are blighted by substance misuse, crime and lack of opportunity ... CRI's service users include Adults and young people with substance misuse problems People who are homeless and living and working on the streets Offenders in prison and those ...
... in an intoxicated state without a preference for one particular substance ... shown that alcohol is commonly used with another substance ... one study on polysubstance use that separated participants who used multiple substances into groups based on their preferred drug ...
Famous quotes containing the word substance:
“Ah, to build, to build!
That is the noblest art of all the arts.
Painting and sculpture are but images,
Are merely shadows cast by outward things
On stone or canvas, having in themselves
No separate existence. Architecture,
Existing in itself, and not in seeming
A something it is not, surpasses them
As substance shadow.”
—Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (18071882)
“True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain,
Begot of nothing but vain fantasy,
Which is as thin of substance as the air,
And more inconstant than the wind, who woos
Even now the frozen bosom of the north,
And being angered, puffs away from thence,
Turning his side to the dew-dropping south.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)
“I do not remember anything which Confucius has said directly respecting mans origin, purpose, and destiny. He was more practical than that. He is full of wisdom applied to human relations,to the private life,the family,government, etc. It is remarkable that, according to his own account, the sum and substance of his teaching is, as you know, to do as you would be done by.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)