- 1948: Honorary doctorate, University of Bristol, England
- 1953: Honorary doctorate, Durham University, England
- 1956: Honorary doctorate, University of British Columbia, Canada
- 1956: Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George, Great Britain
- 1957: Honorary doctorate, University of New England, Australia
- 1958: Honorary doctorate, McGill University, Canada
- 1960: Commander of the Order of the Dannebrog, Denmark
- 1961: National Order of the Cedar, Lebanon
- 1964: Order of the Phoenix, Greece
- 1967: Order of Merit, Italy
- 1967: Légion d'honneur, France
- 1965: Knight Batchelor, Great Britain
- 1968: Honorary doctorate, University of Sydney, Australia
Read more about this topic: Stephen Henry Roberts
Other articles related to "honours, honour":
... Any person or organisation can make nominations of Australian citizens for Australian honours ... Non-Australians can be given honorary awards for "extraordinary service to Australia or humanity at large" ...
... In the Queen's Birthday Honours of 1971, he was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) ... In the Australia Day Honours of 1979, he was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) ...
... Undergraduate studies can be in the form of either single honours or combined honours degrees, most of which are available for study on either a full-time or part-time basis ... With a combined honours degree, a student may choose to study two different subjects in one of two ways Major/Minor combinations, where the student spends two-thirds of their time studying one subject and the ... programmes are available for many of the single honour programmes ...
... In 1963, Richardson won the Best Actor Award at the Cannes Film Festival for Long Day's Journey into Night ... He won the BAFTA Award for Best British Actor for The Sound Barrier (1952), and was nominated on another three occasions (his last being for Greystoke The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes) ...
... Saint Christopher and Nevis) New Zealand details can be found at DPMC.govt.nz Honours Lists New Year Honours 1999. 2000 ...
Famous quotes containing the word honours:
“Vain men delight in telling what Honours have been done them, what great Company they have kept, and the like; by which they plainly confess, that these Honours were more than their Due, and such as their Friends would not believe if they had not been told: Whereas a Man truly proud, thinks the greatest Honours below his Merit, and consequently scorns to boast. I therefore deliver it as a Maxim that whoever desires the Character of a proud Man, ought to conceal his Vanity.”
—Jonathan Swift (16671745)
“If a novel reveals true and vivid relationships, it is a moral work, no matter what the relationships consist in. If the novelist honours the relationship in itself, it will be a great novel.”
—D.H. (David Herbert)
“Come hither, all ye empty things,
Ye bubbles raisd by breath of Kings;
Who float upon the tide of state,
Come hither, and behold your fate.
Let pride be taught by this rebuke,
How very mean a things a Duke;
From all his ill-got honours flung,
Turnd to that dirt from whence he sprung.”
—Jonathan Swift (16671745)