- In the Snow, 1901 (Original title: Im Schnee)
- The Miracles of Life, 1903 (Original title: Die Wunder des Lebens)
- The Love of Erika Ewald, 1904 (Original title: Die Liebe der Erika Ewald)
- The Star Over the Forest, 1904 (Original title: Der Stern über dem Walde)
- The Fowler Snared, 1906 (Original title: Sommernovellette)
- The Governess, 1907 (Original title: Die Governante)
- Twilight, 1910 (Original title: Geschichte eines Unterganges)
- Burning Secret, 1913 (Original title: Brennendes Geheimnis)
- Fear, 1920 (Original title: Angst)
- Compulsion, 1920 (Original title: Der Zwang)
- Fantastic Night, 1922 (Original title: Phantastiche Nacht)
- Letter from an Unknown Woman, 1922 (Original title: Brief einer Unbekannten) – novella
- Moonbeam Alley, 1922 (Original title: Die Mondscheingasse)
- Amok, 1922 (Original title: Amok) – novella, initially published with several others in Amok. Novellen einer Leidenschaft
- The Eyes of My Brother, Forever, 1925 (Original title: Die Augen des ewigen Bruders)
- The Invisible Collection, 1925 (Original title: Die unsichtbare Sammlung)
- Downfall of the Heart, 1927 (Original title: Untergang eines Herzens")
- The Invisible Collection see Collected Stories below, (Original title: Die Unsichtbare Sammlung, first published in book form in 'Insel-Almanach auf das Jahr 1927')
- The Refugee, 1927 (Original title: Der Flüchtling. Episode vom Genfer See).
- Confusion of Feelings or Confusion: The Private Papers of Privy Councillor R. Von D, 1927 (Original title: Verwirrung der Gefühle) – novella initially published in the volume Verwirrung der Gefühle: Drei Novellen
- Twenty-Four Hours in the Life of a Woman, 1927 (Original title: Vierundzwanzig Stunden aus dem Leben einer Frau) – novella initially published in the volume Verwirrung der Gefühle: Drei Novellen
- Buchmendel, 1929 (Original title: Buchmendel)
- Short stories, 1930 (Original title: Kleine Chronik. Vier Erzählungen) – includes Buchmendel
- Did He Do It?, published between 1935 and 1940 (Original title: War er es?)
- Collected Stories, 1936 (Original title: Gesammelte Erzählungen) – two volumes of short stories:
1. The Chains (Original title: Die Kette)
2. Kaleidoscope (Original title: Kaleidoskop). Includes: Casual Knowledge of a Craft, Leporella, Fear, Burning Secret, Summer Novella, The Governess, Buchmendel, The Refugee, The Invisible Collection, Fantastic Night and Moonbeam Alley
- Incident on Lake Geneva, 1936 (Original title: Episode an Genfer See Revised version of "Der Flüchtung. Episode vom Genfer See" published in 1927)
- Beware of Pity, 1939 (Original title: Ungeduld des Herzens) novel
- The Royal Game or Chess Story or Chess (Original title: Schachnovelle; Buenos Aires, 1942) – novella written in 1938–41, published posthumously
- Leporella, 1954 (Original title: Leporella)
- Journey into the Past, 1976 (Original title: "Widerstand der Wirklichkeit") published posthumously
- Clarissa, 1981 unfinished novel, published posthumously
- The Post Office Girl, 1982 (Original title: Rausch der Verwandlung. Roman aus dem Nachlaß; The Intoxication of Metamorphosis) – unfinished novel, published posthumously, and in 2008 for the first time in English.
Other articles related to "fiction":
... as the host city for the 69th World Science Fiction Convention, Renovation, to be held in 2011, and Raleigh, North Carolina, as the host city for the 10th North ... The Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy Association selected Winnipeg, Manitoba, as the location of Canvention 2010 and the 30th Prix Aurora Awards ...
... Thomas Mann in his novel Doctor Faustus (1943) has the fictional German composer Adrian Leverkühn attempt to write an opera on Love's Labour's Lost. ...
... DeLillo has twice been a Pulitzer Prize for Fiction finalist for Mao II and Underworld (1992 and 1998, respectively), won the PEN/Faulkner Award for Mao II in ... DeLillo has described his fiction as being influenced by " the fact that we're living in dangerous times ...
... is considered by some critics to be the best science fiction book ever written ... Science fiction author Arthur C ... It was called "One of the monuments of modern science fiction" by the Chicago Tribune, while the Washington Post described it as "A portrayal of an alien society more complete and deeply detailed than ...
... was a British author best known for his science fiction novels and short stories ... Campbell's Astounding Science Fiction and other pulp magazines ... Russell also wrote horror fiction for Weird Tales, and non-fiction articles on Fortean topics ...
Famous quotes containing the word fiction:
“The acceptance that all that is solid has melted into the air, that reality and morality are not givens but imperfect human constructs, is the point from which fiction begins.”
—Salman Rushdie (b. 1947)
“If one doubts whether Grecian valor and patriotism are not a fiction of the poets, he may go to Athens and see still upon the walls of the temple of Minerva the circular marks made by the shields taken from the enemy in the Persian war, which were suspended there. We have not far to seek for living and unquestionable evidence. The very dust takes shape and confirms some story which we had read.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“The beginning of human knowledge is through the senses, and the fiction writer begins where human perception begins. He appeals through the senses, and you cannot appeal to the senses with abstractions.”
—Flannery OConnor (19251964)