South and Southeast Asia
While the scimitar also spread to North India in the form of the Talwar, there are is also an autochthonous sword of the straight form in India, known as the Khanda.
- Pata (gauntlet-sword)
- Kastane (Sri Lankan)
Swords and knives found in Southeast Asia are influenced by Indian, Far Eastern (Chinese) as well as Near Eastern (Muslim) and European (Spanish) forms.
- Balisword: an exceptionally large balisong knife. Similar to a balisong, two hilts cover the blade of a balisword
- Bolo: a large cutting tool of Filipino used in their revolutions
- Buntot Pagi: Stingray tails used as a weapon of Filipino origin
- Dahong Palay: a Filipino machete-like sword with capability for thrusting
- Dha: single-edged Burmese sword, perhaps influenced by the Chinese Dao (For Thai : Daab)
- Kalis: double-edged "wavy" Filipino sword, similar to the Kris dagger
- Kampilan: large single-edged Filipino sword
- Klewang: single-edged Indonesian sword similar to the Filipino Kampilan
- Krabi: Thai sabre used in Krabi krabong
- Pinuti: Filipino sword influenced by the West and used also as a farm tool
Read more about this topic: Southeast Asian Swords
Other articles related to "south and southeast asia, south, southeast asia, southeast, asia":
... still used today as the primary weapon of the Sikh martial art Gatka and also by South Asian Shiite Muslims for Tatbir ...
... In Southeast Asia, when the value of the Siamese tical (baht) was about half a troy ounce of silver, the value of the cowrie (Thai เบี้ย bia) was fixed at 1⁄64 ...
... Nearby craters of note include Abulfeda to the south-southeast and Descartes to the east-southeast ... of Anděl has been worn and distorted into a polygonal shape, and is nearly non-existent to the south where Anděl G intersects the perimeter ... The interior floor is nearly flat, with some irregularities to the southeast ...
... Islam is the most widely practiced religion in Southeast Asia, numbering approximately 240 million adherents which translate to about 40% of the entire ... Significant minorities are located in the other Southeast Asian states ... Most Muslims in Southeast Asia belong to the Sunni sect and within it, the Shafi`i school of fiqh, or religious law ...
... Southeast Asia consists of Mainland Southeast Asia and Maritime Southeast Asia ... Southeast Asia is usually thought to include Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, East Timor, Brunei and the ... Islam and Christianity from Southwest Asia ...
Famous quotes containing the words asia and/or south:
“I have no doubt that they lived pretty much the same sort of life in the Homeric age, for men have always thought more of eating than of fighting; then, as now, their minds ran chiefly on the hot bread and sweet cakes; and the fur and lumber trade is an old story to Asia and Europe.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“They were more than hostile. In the first place, I was a south Georgian and I was looked upon as a fiscal conservative, and the Atlanta newspapers quite erroneously, because they didnt know anything about me or my background here in Plains, decided that I was also a racial conservative.”
—Jimmy Carter (James Earl Carter, Jr.)