South and Southeast Asia
While the scimitar also spread to North India in the form of the Talwar, there are is also an autochthonous sword of the straight form in India, known as the Khanda.
- Pata (gauntlet-sword)
- Kastane (Sri Lankan)
Swords and knives found in Southeast Asia are influenced by Indian, Far Eastern (Chinese) as well as Near Eastern (Muslim) and European (Spanish) forms.
- Balisword: an exceptionally large balisong knife. Similar to a balisong, two hilts cover the blade of a balisword
- Bolo: a large cutting tool of Filipino used in their revolutions
- Buntot Pagi: Stingray tails used as a weapon of Filipino origin
- Dahong Palay: a Filipino machete-like sword with capability for thrusting
- Dha: single-edged Burmese sword, perhaps influenced by the Chinese Dao (For Thai : Daab)
- Kalis: double-edged "wavy" Filipino sword, similar to the Kris dagger
- Kampilan: large single-edged Filipino sword
- Klewang: single-edged Indonesian sword similar to the Filipino Kampilan
- Krabi: Thai sabre used in Krabi krabong
- Pinuti: Filipino sword influenced by the West and used also as a farm tool
Read more about this topic: Southeast Asian Swords
Other articles related to "southeast asia, southeast, south and southeast asia, south, asia":
... Islam is the most widely practiced religion in Southeast Asia, numbering approximately 240 million adherents which translate to about 40% of the entire population, with majorities in Brunei ... Significant minorities are located in the other Southeast Asian states ... Most Muslims in Southeast Asia belong to the Sunni sect and within it, the Shafi`i school of fiqh, or religious law ...
... In Southeast Asia, when the value of the Siamese tical (baht) was about half a troy ounce of silver, the value of the cowrie (Thai เบี้ย bia) was ...
... Nearby craters of note include Abulfeda to the south-southeast and Descartes to the east-southeast ... shape, and is nearly non-existent to the south where Anděl G intersects the perimeter ... floor is nearly flat, with some irregularities to the southeast ...
... The Talwar is a type of curved sword that was introduced to India in the 13th century by invading Muslim conquerors and was adopted by communities who favoured the sword as their main weapon, including the Rajputs, Marathas and Sikhs ... It became more widespread under the Mughals who fought with curved swords from horseback ...
... Southeast Asia consists of Mainland Southeast Asia and Maritime Southeast Asia ... Southeast Asia is usually thought to include Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, East Timor, Brunei and the Philippines ... the religions Islam and Christianity from Southwest Asia ...
Famous quotes containing the words asia and/or south:
“So-called Western Civilization, as practised in half of Europe, some of Asia and a few parts of North America, is better than anything else available. Western civilization not only provides a bit of life, a pinch of liberty and the occasional pursuance of happiness, its also the only thing thats ever tried to. Our civilization is the first in history to show even the slightest concern for average, undistinguished, none-too-commendable people like us.”
—P.J. (Patrick Jake)
“The South is very beautiful but its beauty makes one sad because the lives that people live here, and have lived here, are so ugly.”
—James Baldwin (19241987)