The South Seattle Community College Arboretum is a 6-acre (24,000 m2) arboretum and botanical garden located at the north end of the South Seattle Community College campus in Seattle, Washington. It is open daily without charge. The Seattle Chinese Garden is adjacent.
The arboretum was established in 1978. As of 2006, its collections include:
- Acer Garden – 40 varieties of maples with an emphasis on Asiatic species.
- Coenosium Rock Garden – one of the largest collections of dwarf conifers on the West Coast.
- Mert & Beth Dawley Fern Garden – 20 types of ferns and a variety of companion plants.
- Mabel Davis Memorial Garden – with a fine view of Elliott Bay and the Seattle skyline.
- Entry Garden – a formal display of ornamental grasses, herbaceous perennials, bulbs, and annuals.
- H. C. Erickson Garden – heather and birch trees.
- Anna C. Mason Garden – an old-fashioned perennial garden.
- Charles and Clark Malmo Rhododendron Garden – rhododendron species and hybrids with native companion plants.
- Sequoia Grove – specimens of giant sequoia, coast redwood, and dawn redwood.
- Helen Sutton Rose Garden – a classical rose garden, with more than 100 varieties of hybrid tea, floribunda, grandifloras, and English roses.
- Milton Sutton Dwarf Conifer Garden – a collection of conifer species and cultivars.
... Lewis, a horse trader and former Union Army officer, helped establish the community in the late 1870s or early 1880s ... The community continued to grow and by 1896, the population had grown to approximately 100 ... In the years after World War II, the community again suffered a decline in the number of people and businesses ...
... ("big island") (formerly, until 1 November 1998 "Broughton Island"), is a community located on the island of the same name in the Qikiqtaaluk Region of Nunavut, Canada. 2 and a half days, but it is still meant to promote hope among the community ... The community hosts a two week celebration over the Christmas and New Year period every year ...
... Nee Soon East Community Club Nee Soon South Community Centre Chong Pang Community Club Nee Soon Central Community Centre Nee Soon East Toastmasters Club Nee Soon East CC Youth Executive Committee (YEC) Chong ...
... meaning "association", "assembly," "company" or "community" and most commonly refers in Buddhism to the monastic community of ordained Buddhist monks or nuns ... This community is traditionally referred to as the bhikkhu-sangha or bhikkhuni-sangha ... Within this community those who have attained a higher level of realisation are referred to as the ariya-sangha or "noble Sangha" ...
... Definitions of community as "organisms inhabiting a common environment and interacting with one another," while scientifically accurate, do not convey the ... Untidy as it may be, community is vital for humans ... vulnerability without risk there can be no community without vulnerability there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community." ...
Famous quotes containing the words college, south, seattle and/or community:
“When first the college rolls receive his name,
The young enthusiast quilts his ease for fame;
Through all his veins the fever of renown
Burns from the strong contagion of the gown;”
—Samuel Johnson (17091784)
“Only let the North exert as much moral influence over the South, as the South has exerted demoralizing influence over the North, and slavery would die amid the flame of Christian remonstrance, and faithful rebuke, and holy indignation.”
—Angelina Grimké (18051879)
“I once heard of a murderer who propped his two victims up against a chess board in sporting attitudes and was able to get as far as Seattle before his crime was discovered.”
—Robert Benchley (18891945)
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
—Aldo Leopold (18861948)