The word size may refer to how big or small something is. In particular:
- Measurement, the process or the result of determining the magnitude of a quantity, such as length or mass, relative to a unit of measurement, such as a meter or a kilogram
- Dimensions, including length, width, height, diameter, perimeter, area, volume
- Clothing sizes such as shoe size
- Body dimensions (Anthropometry)
- Human height, the distance from the bottom of the feet to the top of the head in a human body standing erect
- Human weight
- In statistics (hypothesis testing), the size of the test refers to the rate of false positives, denoted by α
- In computing, file size
- size (Unix), a command-line Unix tool
- Magnitude (mathematics), magnitude or size of a mathematical object
- Magnitude of brightness or intensity of a star or an earthquake as measured on a logarithmic scale
- In mathematics there are, in addition to the dimensions mentioned above (equal if there is an isometry), various other concepts of size for sets:
- measure (mathematics), a systematic way to assign to each suitable subset a number
- cardinality (equal if there is a bijection), of a set is a measure of the "number of elements of the set"
- for well-ordered sets: ordinal number (equal if there is an order-isomorphism)
- Resizing (fiction), a theme in fiction, in particular in fairy tales, fantasy, and science fiction
- Sizing, or size, a filler or glaze
- Demonstrating Size (dimension)
Other articles related to "size, sizes":
... Yellow Claw #1 "The Coming of the Yellow Claw" - Reprinted in Giant-Size Master of Kung Fu #1 (Sept ... Strikes", "Trap for Jimmy Woo" - Reprinted in Giant-Size Master of Kung Fu #2 (Dec ... Kane revised as Nick Fury) and Giant-Size Master of Kung Fu #3 (March 1975) "Concentrate on Chaos" - Reprinted in Giant-Size Master of Kung Fu #3 (March 1975) "The Mystery of Cabin 361", "Temujai the Golden Goliath ...
... of many lengths from about 30 feet (9.1 m) upwards, to allow parties of different sizes or different budgets to hire a boat ...
... The average projection and size of human female nipples is slightly more than 3/8 of an inch (10mm) ... Pregnancy and nursing tend to increase nipple size, sometimes permanently ...
... Zero or one of these options may be specified to control the size of the image ... is already smaller than the requested size, then the image retains its original size (it is not enlarged) ... be enlarged or reduced to match the requested size ...
... administration most often takes place via offices, which are often of a very manageable size ... to the draft of the Ministry of the Interior, a minimum size of 8000 inhabitants was to be implemented for Ämter and independent municipalities as a regional reorganization due 1 April 2007 ... However, a minimum size for municipalities belonging to an Amt has not yet been officially determined ...
Famous quotes containing the word size:
“It is very considerably smaller than Australia and British Somaliland put together. As things stand at present there is nothing much the Texans can do about this, and ... they are inclined to shy away from the subject in ordinary conversation, muttering defensively about the size of oranges.”
—Alex Atkinson, British humor writer. repr. In Present Laughter, ed. Alan Coren (1982)
“There are some persons we could not cut down to size without diminishing ourselves as well.”
—Jean Rostand (18941977)
“Our brains are no longer conditioned for reverence and awe. We cannot imagine a Second Coming that would not be cut down to size by the televised evening news, or a Last Judgment not subject to pages of holier-than-Thou second- guessing in The New York Review of Books.”
—John Updike (b. 1932)