Professor Jamil is a small town and municipality in south-central Goiás state, Brazil. The population was 3,298 (2007) in a total area of 347.4 km².
- north: Hidrolândia;
- south: Mairipotaba and Piracanjuba;
- east: Piracanjuba;
- west: Cromínia and Mairipotaba
In road connections there are two state highways and several local roads linking the rural area to the town. The most important interstate highway of the state--BR153--crosses the municipality from north to south, connecting Professor Jamil to all the regions of Brazil.
The origin of the town goes back to 1942 when a group of people got together and built a football field. Soon the first grocery store appeared. The first mass was prayed in 1952 when the settlement was called Campo Limpo. Soon it became a district of Piracanjuba and was emancipated in 1991 with the name, Professor Jamil, in homage to one of the first pioneers, Jamil Salim Safady, of Lebanese origin.
- Population density: 9.49 inhab/km² (2007)
- Urban population: 2,342(2007)
- Rural population: 956 (2007)
- Population growth or loss: -0.45% from 2000/2007
The economy is based on agriculture, cattle raising, services, public administration, and small transformation industries. There is also a poultry industry, swine raising and extraction of sand.
- Industrial units: 0 (2007)
- Commercial units: 41 (2007)
- Bank agencies: none (June 2005)
- Dairies: - Indústria de Laticínios Boa Nova Ltda (22/05/2006)
- Cattle herd: 40,290 head (2006)
- Main crops (2006): rice and corn.
- Number of agricultural establishments: 299
- Area of agricultural establishments: 34,943 ha.
- Area of crops: 2,335 ha.
- Area of natural pasture: 28,310 ha.
- Persons working in agriculture: 835
- Farms with tractors. 54 IBGE
- Schools: 5 with 1,011 students
- Higher education: none
- Adult literacy rate: 83.7% (2000) (national average was 86.4%)
- Hospitals: 0
- Hospital beds: 0
- Ambulatory clinics: 1
- Infant mortality rate: 27.9 (2000) (national average was 33.0).
Municipal Human Development Index
- MHDI: 0.736
- State ranking: 123 (out of 242 municipalities)
- National ranking: 2,229 (out of 5,507 municipalities) For the complete list see frigoletto.com.br
- List of municipalities in Goiás
- City Brazil
Famous quotes containing the word professor:
“Well, sweet buttercup? Now that Im here and see whats to be had, I shall dally in the valley, and believe me I can dally.”
—A. Edward Sullivan, U.S. screenwriter. Professor Quail (W.C. Fields)