Nazareth is home to dozens of monasteries and churches, many of them in the Old City.
- The Church of the Annunciation is the largest Christian church in the Middle East. In Roman Catholic tradition, it marks the site where the Archangel Gabriel announced the future birth of Jesus to the Virgin Mary (Luke 1:26-31).
- The Church of St. Gabriel is an alternative Eastern Orthodox site for the Annunciation.
- The Synagogue Church is a Melkite Greek Catholic Church at the traditional site of the synagogue where Jesus preached (Luke 4)
- The St. Joseph's Church marks the traditional location for the workshop of Saint Joseph
- The Mensa Christi Church, run by the Franciscan religious order, commemorates the traditional location where Jesus dined with the Apostles after his Resurrection
- The Basilica of Jesus the Adolescent, run by the Salesian religious order, occupies a hill overlooking the city.
- The Church of Christ is an Anglican church in Nazareth.
- The Church of Our Lady of the Fright marks the spot where Mary is said to have seen Jesus being taken to a cliff by the congregation of the synagogue
- The Jesus Trail pilgrimage route connects many of the religious sites in Nazareth on a 60 km walking trail which ends in Capernaum.
|Arab citizens of Israel|
Hadash United Arab List
Avoda · Kadima · Likud
Internally Displaced Palestinians
The Koenig Memorandum
October 2000 events
|Basilica of the Annunciation
Dome of the Rock
St. George's Orthodox Church
Church of the Holy Sepulchre
|Music · Dance · Cuisine
|Major population centers|
|Nazareth · Umm al-Fahm · Rahat
Tayibe · Shefa-'Amr · Baqa-Jatt
Shaghur · Tamra · Sakhnin
Carmel City · Tira · Arraba
|Hiam Abbass · Hany Abu-Assad
Mohammed Bakri · Azmi Bishara
Emile Habibi · Samih al-Qasim
Abbas Suan · Elia Suleiman
Hisham Zreiq · Ali Suliman
See also Template:Palestinians
Other articles related to "christian, christians":
Berea College - Academics and Student Life - Christian Identity
... Berea was founded by Protestant Christians ... It maintains a Christian identity separate from any particular denomination ... One General Studies course is focused on Christian faith, as every student is required to take an Understandings of Christianity course ...
... Christian eschatology is a major branch of study within Christian theology ... Broadly speaking, Christian eschatology is the study of the destiny of humankind as it is revealed by the Bible, which is the primary source for all Christian eschatology studies ... The major issues and events in Christian eschatology are death and the afterlife, Heaven and Hell, the Second Coming of Jesus, the Resurrection of the Dead, the Rapture, the ...
Uchimura Kanzō - Japanese Religious Leader
... attitude that an organized church was actually a hindrance to the Christian faith, and Christian sacraments, such as baptism and communion, are not essential to salvation ... Uchimura named his Christian position as "Mukyokai" or Nonchurch Movement ... English include Japan and the Japanese (1894) and How I became a Christian (1895), and reflect his struggle to develop a Japanese form of Christianity ...
Christians Without Creeds
... Some Christian denominations, and particularly those descending from the Radical Reformation, do not profess a creed ... have a penultimacy about them and, of themselves, could never be the basis of Christian fellowship" ... can be found in the Restoration Movement and its descendants, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the Churches of Christ, and the Christian churches and churches of Christ ...
... It was based on Christian understanding of the Canonical Gospels, the letters of the New Testament and to a lesser extent the Old Testament ... Trinity, is generally taken as a fundamental test of orthodoxy for most Christian denominations ... Some Christian denominations and other groups have rejected the authority of those creeds ...
Famous quotes containing the word christian:
“Washingtons birthday is as close to a secular Christmas as any Christian country dare come this side of blasphemy.”
“That is the great end of empires before God, to be Catholic and draw nations into their Catholicism. But our empire is less and less Christian as it grows.”
“Here we have bishops, priests, and deacons, a Censorship Board, vigilant librarians, confraternities and sodalities, Duce Maria, Legions of Mary, Knights of this Christian order and Knights of that one, all surrounding the sinners free will in an embattled circle.”