- February 27, 1975. President Ferdinand Marcos issued Presidential Decree 824 creating the Metropolitan Manila Commission (MMC). It integrates the Philippine capital Manila and adjacent Quezon City with 2 cities and 12 municipalities of the province of Rizal and 1 municipality of the province of Bulacan. Marcos appointed his wife Imelda Marcos as governor and Ismael Mathay, Jr. as vice-governor. The office was located in front of the GMA Network at EDSA corner Timog Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City.
- January 9, 1990. President Corazon C. Aquino issued Executive Order No. 392, in accordance to Article 18, Section 8 of the 1987 Philippine Constitution, creating Metropolitan Manila Authority (MMA). The Metro Manila mayors will choose from themselves as chairman. Jejomar Binay of the municipality of Makati served as its first chairman. The agency transferred to its present office at Guadalupe, Makati. Binay was followed by Ignacio Bunye of municipality of Muntinlupa in 1991, Ismael Mathay, Jr. of Quezon City in 1992 then Prospero Oreta of the municipality of Malabon in 1994.
- March 1, 1995. Since the elected chairman is one of the mayors of Metro Manila, the role to his constituency gave less attention. Thus, the Congress of the Philippines, composed of the Senate and the House of Representatives, passed Republic Act No. 7924 creating the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA).
- May 1995. Prospero Oreta did not run in the Malabon municipal election. President Fidel V. Ramos appointed him as the first Chairman of the MMDA and made him independent of the Metro Manila mayors.
- June 1998. Jejomar Binay was prohibited by law from running for his fourth consecutive term as mayor of Makati. President Joseph E. Estrada appointed him as the second Chairman of the MMDA.
Read more about this topic: Metropolitan Manila Development Authority
Other articles related to "history":
... has been seen in almost every society in history ... Napoleon's France and Elizabethan England, much of history is filled with stories of entertainment based on games of chance ... In American history, early gambling establishments were known as saloons ...
... The breakup of Al-Andalus into the competing taifa kingdoms helped the long embattled Iberian Christian kingdoms gain the initiative ... The capture of the strategically central city of Toledo in 1085 marked a significant shift in the balance of power in favour of the Christian kingdoms ...
... History of Charles XII, King of Sweden (1731) The Age of Louis XIV (1751) The Age of Louis XV (1746–1752) Annals of the Empire – Charlemagne, A.D ... II (1754) Essay on the Manners of Nations (or 'Universal History') (1756) History of the Russian Empire Under Peter the Great (Vol ... II 1763) History of the Parliament of Paris (1769) ...
... The Skeptical School of early Chinese history, started by Gu Jiegang in the 1920s, was the first group of scholars within China to seriously question the traditional story of its early history "the ... early Chinese history is a tale told and retold for generations, during which new elements were added to the front end" ...
... The history of computing is longer than the history of computing hardware and modern computing technology and includes the history of methods intended for pen and paper or for chalk ...
Famous quotes containing the word history:
“In front of these sinister facts, the first lesson of history is the good of evil. Good is a good doctor, but Bad is sometimes a better.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“It is my conviction that women are the natural orators of the race.”
—Eliza Archard Connor, U.S. suffragist. As quoted in History of Woman Suffrage, vol. 4, ch. 9, by Susan B. Anthony and Ida Husted Harper (1902)
“While the Republic has already acquired a history world-wide, America is still unsettled and unexplored. Like the English in New Holland, we live only on the shores of a continent even yet, and hardly know where the rivers come from which float our navy.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)