The Mennonite Church USA takes a pro-life stance on abortion. Their official statement affirms:
- Human life is a gift from God to be valued and protected. We oppose abortion because it runs counter to biblical principles.
- The fetus in its earliest stages (and even if imperfect by human standards) shares humanity with those who conceived it.
- There are times when deeply held values, such as saving the life of the mother and saving the life of the fetus, come in conflict with each other.
- The faith community should be a place for discernment about difficult issues like abortion.
- Abortion should not be used to interrupt unwanted pregnancies.
- Christians must provide viable alternatives to abortion that provide care and support for mothers and infants.
- The church should witness to society regarding the value of all human life.
- Professionals whose ministry involves dealing with the moral dilemmas of abortion and reproductive technologies need our support.
They also oppose euthanasia and the capital punishment.
Other articles related to "life issues, life":
... The party supports the protection of human life and opposes any state level funding of human embryo research and abortions ...
... The Christian Reformed Church in North America is pro-life on abortion ... are imagebearers of God, it affirms the unique value of all human life ... The church affirms that an induced abortion is an allowable option only when the life of the mother-to-be is genuinely threatened by the continuation of the pregnancy./ The church calls ...
Famous quotes containing the words issues and/or life:
“The current flows fast and furious. It issues in a spate of words from the loudspeakers and the politicians. Every day they tell us that we are a free people fighting to defend freedom. That is the current that has whirled the young airman up into the sky and keeps him circulating there among the clouds. Down here, with a roof to cover us and a gasmask handy, it is our business to puncture gasbags and discover the seeds of truth.”
—Virginia Woolf (18821941)
“Nothing in life possesses value except the degree of powerassuming that life itself is the will to power.”
—Friedrich Nietzsche (18441900)