The Mennonite Church USA takes a pro-life stance on abortion. Their official statement affirms:
- Human life is a gift from God to be valued and protected. We oppose abortion because it runs counter to biblical principles.
- The fetus in its earliest stages (and even if imperfect by human standards) shares humanity with those who conceived it.
- There are times when deeply held values, such as saving the life of the mother and saving the life of the fetus, come in conflict with each other.
- The faith community should be a place for discernment about difficult issues like abortion.
- Abortion should not be used to interrupt unwanted pregnancies.
- Christians must provide viable alternatives to abortion that provide care and support for mothers and infants.
- The church should witness to society regarding the value of all human life.
- Professionals whose ministry involves dealing with the moral dilemmas of abortion and reproductive technologies need our support.
They also oppose euthanasia and the capital punishment.
Other articles related to "life issues, life":
... The party supports the protection of human life and opposes any state level funding of human embryo research and abortions ...
... The Christian Reformed Church in North America is pro-life on abortion ... that all human beings are imagebearers of God, it affirms the unique value of all human life ... The church affirms that an induced abortion is an allowable option only when the life of the mother-to-be is genuinely threatened by the continuation of the ...
Famous quotes containing the words issues and/or life:
“How to attain sufficient clarity of thought to meet the terrifying issues now facing us, before it is too late, is ... important. Of one thing I feel reasonably sure: we cant stop to discuss whether the table has or hasnt legs when the house is burning down over our heads. Nor do the classics per se seem to furnish the kind of education which fits people to cope with a fast-changing civilization.”
—Mary Barnett Gilson (1877?)
“Among the smaller duties of life I hardly know any one more important than that of not praising where praise is not due.”
—Sydney Smith (17711845)