American Rune Stones
The following rune stones, found in the United States, are all surrounded by controversy regarding their originality:
- The Kensington Runestone is located at Alexandria, Minnesota.
- The Heavener Runestone and others associated with it, in and around Heavener, Oklahoma.
- The Vérendrye Runestone, found near Minot, North Dakota.
- The three Spirit Pond runestones, found in Phippsburg, Maine, in 1971.
- The Leif Eriksson Runestone found on a small island off the coast of Massachusetts in 1926.
Famous quotes containing the words stones, american and/or rune:
Which stops, as cold and bare
As headless hair,
As lifeless as your bones,
Obtuse as meadow stones ...”
—Allen Tate (18991979)
“Im not the American Nightmare. I am the American Dream!”
—Donald Freed, U.S. screenwriter, and Arnold M. Stone. Robert Altman. Richard Nixon (Philip Baker Hall)
“This is no rune nor symbol,
what I mean is it is so simple
yet no trick of the pen or brush
could capture that impression;
what I wanted to indicate was
a new phase, a new distinction of colour.”
—Hilda Doolittle (18861961)