This is a list of awards dedicated to honoring or recognizing African Americans.
- BCALA Literary Awards (Black Caucus of the American Library Association Literary Awards). Annual literary award from the American Library Association, Black Caucus, which honors "outstanding works of fiction and nonfiction for adult audiences by African American authors"
- Coretta Scott King Award (annual literary award from the American Library Association given to African American authors and illustrators)
- NAACP Image Awards (given by the NAACP annually to people of color)
- Spingarn Medal
- Golden Eagle Award, Afro-American in the Arts
- Candace Award, National Coalition of 100 Black Women
- Shelia Award (alt. spelling "Sheila Award"), Harriet Tubman African American Museum
- Langston Hughes Medal
- The BET Honors, which celebrates the lives and achievements of African American luminaries.
- Afro-Academic, Cultural, Technological and Scientific Olympics
- NAACP Theatre Awards
- William E. Harmon Foundation award for distinguished achievement among Negroes
Famous quotes containing the words list of, americans, african and/or list:
“Sheathey call him Scholar Jack
Went down the list of the dead.
Officers, seamen, gunners, marines,
The crews of the gig and yawl,
The bearded man and the lad in his teens,
—Joseph I. C. Clarke (18461925)
“In the two centuries that have passed since 1776, millions upon millions of Americans have worked and taken up arms, when necessary, to make [the American] dream a reality. We can be proud of what they have accomplished. Today, we are the worlds oldest republic. We are at peace. Our nation and our way of life endure. And we are free.”
—Gerald R. Ford (b. 1913)
“A tanned skin is something more than respectable, and perhaps olive is a fitter color than white for a man,a denizen of the woods. The pale white man! I do not wonder that the African pitied him.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“Feminism is an entire world view or gestalt, not just a laundry list of womens issues.”
—Charlotte Bunch (b. 1944)