Other Public Service
- John Birch - missionary and spy in China during World War II; namesake of the John Birch Society
- Charles Kelsey Dozier - missionary and founder of Seinan Gakuin University in Japan
- J. Truett Gannon - influential Baptist minister; chairman, Truett-McConnell College Board of Trustees, 1985–1987; chairman, Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary Board of Trustees, 1987–1990; president, Georgia Baptist Convention, 1990-1992
- Louie D. Newton - influential Baptist minister; president, Southern Baptist Convention, 1947–1948; president, Georgia Baptist Convention, 1950–1951; pastor of Druid Hills Baptist Church in Atlanta for more than 40 years; namesake of Mercer's Newton Hall, a large chapel on the Macon campus
- Lamar R. Plunkett - past chair, University System of Georgia Board of Regents; past chair, Mercer Board of Trustees; former Georgia state senator; namesake of the Lamar R. Plunkett Lecture Series at the University of West Georgia; namesake of the Lamar R. Plunkett Award presented by the Southern Regional Education Board
- Steadman V. Sanford - former chancellor, University System of Georgia; namesake of Sanford Stadium at the University of Georgia
Other articles related to "public, services, public service, other public service, public services":
... is a public utility company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, serving more than 3.3 million electric customers and 1.8 million natural gas customers in eight states Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North ... Primary services are electricity and natural gas ... Operating companies include Northern States Power Company, Public Service Company of Colorado, and Southwestern Public Service Co ...
... He supported a number of Bristol public institutions the School of Science and Art, the Museum and Library and the Evening Classes Association and the local branch of the Charities Organization Society ... An annual public lecture at the University is his memorial ...
... seeks to redistribute authority, responsibility and financial resources for providing public services among different levels of governance ... of responsibility for the planning, financing and management of public functions from the central government or regional governments and its agencies to local governments, semi-autonomous public ...
... In addition to his political and judicial work, Herschell rendered many public services ... For his special services in this connection he received the Order of the Bath in 1893, this being the only instance of a Lord Chancellor being decorated with ...
... science in general, is often interpreted much differently in the public sphere than in the scientific community ... is due in part to the diversity of the public audience, and the tendency for scientists to misunderstand lay audiences and therefore not communicate ideas clearly and effectively ... Also, in the public realm, there are often many scientific voices giving input on a single topic ...
Famous quotes containing the words service and/or public:
“A mans real faith is never contained in his creed, nor is his creed an article of his faith. The last is never adopted. This it is that permits him to smile ever, and to live even as bravely as he does. And yet he clings anxiously to his creed, as to a straw, thinking that that does him good service because his sheet anchor does not drag.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“No officer should be required or permitted to take part in the management of political organizations, caucuses, conventions, or election campaigns. Their right to vote and to express their views on public questions, either orally or through the press, is not denied, provided it does not interfere with the discharge of their official duties. No assessment for political purposes on officers or subordinates should be allowed.”
—Rutherford Birchard Hayes (18221893)