List Of Acronyms And Initialisms: G
For the purposes of this list:
- acronym = an abbreviation pronounced as a series of constituent letters, e.g., SARS = severe acute respiratory syndrome
- initialism = an abbreviation pronounced wholly or partly using the names of its constituent letters, e.g., CD = compact disc
- pseudo-blend = an abbreviation whose extra or omitted letters means that it cannot stand as a true acronym, initialism, or portmanteau (a word formed by combining two or more words).
- (a) = acronym in the example: SARS – (a) Severe acute respiratory syndrome
- (i) = initialism in the example: CD – (i) Compact disc
- (p) = pseudo-blend in the example: UNIFEM – (p) United Nations Development Fund for Women
- (s) = symbol (none of the above, representing and pronounced as something else; for example: MHz – Megahertz)
(Main list of acronyms and initialisms)
Other articles related to "list of acronyms and":
List Of Acronyms And Initialisms: G - GZ
... GZK – (i) Greisen-Zatsepin-Kuzmin cut-off (cosmic ray energies) List of acronyms and initialisms A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z ...
Famous quotes containing the words list of and/or list:
“Sheathey call him Scholar Jack
“Every morning I woke in dread, waiting for the day nurse to go on her rounds and announce from the list of names in her hand whether or not I was for shock treatment, the new and fashionable means of quieting people and of making them realize that orders are to be obeyed and floors are to be polished without anyone protesting and faces are to be made to be fixed into smiles and weeping is a crime.”