List Of Acronyms And Initialisms: G
For the purposes of this list:
- acronym = an abbreviation pronounced as a series of constituent letters, e.g., SARS = severe acute respiratory syndrome
- initialism = an abbreviation pronounced wholly or partly using the names of its constituent letters, e.g., CD = compact disc
- pseudo-blend = an abbreviation whose extra or omitted letters means that it cannot stand as a true acronym, initialism, or portmanteau (a word formed by combining two or more words).
- (a) = acronym in the example: SARS – (a) Severe acute respiratory syndrome
- (i) = initialism in the example: CD – (i) Compact disc
- (p) = pseudo-blend in the example: UNIFEM – (p) United Nations Development Fund for Women
- (s) = symbol (none of the above, representing and pronounced as something else; for example: MHz – Megahertz)
(Main list of acronyms and initialisms)
Other articles related to "list of acronyms and":
List Of Acronyms And Initialisms: G - GZ
... Greisen-Zatsepin-Kuzmin cut-off (cosmic ray energies) List of acronyms and initialisms A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z ...
Famous quotes containing the words list of and/or list:
“Loves boat has been shattered against the life of everyday. You and I are quits, and its useless to draw up a list of mutual hurts, sorrows, and pains.”
“Religious literature has eminent examples, and if we run over our private list of poets, critics, philanthropists and philosophers, we shall find them infected with this dropsy and elephantiasis, which we ought to have tapped.”