Influence may refer to:
In science and technology:
- Sphere of influence (astrodynamics), the region around a celestial body in which it is the primary gravitational influence on orbiting objects
- Sphere of influence (astronomy), a region around a black hole in which the gravity of the black hole dominates that of the host bulge
- Social influence, in social psychology, influence in interpersonal relationships
- Minority influence, when the minority (which can include the status quo) affect the behavior or beliefs of the majority
- Influence (band), a rock band formed in the 1960s
- Influence (Little Caesar album), 1992 album by Little Caesar
- Influence (Sister Machine Gun album), the seventh album by industrial rock band Sister Machine Gun
- Undue influence, in contract law, where one person takes advantage of a position of power over another person
- Sphere of influence, in political science, an area over which a state or organization has some indirect control
- Office of Strategic Influence, a short-lived U.S. government department
- Driving under the influence, the criminal act of driving while intoxicated
- Influence: Science and Practice, or Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion; two books by Robert Cialdini
Other articles related to "influence":
... Old Turkic, through the influence of Perso-Arabic after the 13th century, developed into the Chagatai language, a literary language used all across ... in the Chagatai-speaking region, showing abundant Chaghatai influence ... Uyghur language today shows considerable Persian influence as a result from Chagatai, including numerous Persian loanwords ...
... around the world have cited Giraud as an influence on their work ... when I discovered it, I already had a consolidated style so I couldn't use its influence to enrich my drawing ... I directed Nausicaä under Moebius's influence ...
... The New York Dolls were first and foremost a major influence on the rock music scene in New York City, having accumulated a devoted cult following during their career ...
... where the government exerts strong directive influence ... Under its influence France experienced what is called "Thirty Glorious Years" of profound economic growth ... Under its influence Germany has emerged from desolation and defeat to become an industrial giant within the European Union ...
... countless fans, amongst whom was Jane Goodall, who describes the Tarzan series as having a major influence on her childhood ... Rudyard Kipling's Mowgli has been cited as a major influence on Edgar Rice Burroughs' creation of Tarzan ... Mowgli was also an influence for a number of other "wild boy" characters ...
Famous quotes containing the word influence:
“If I had influence with the good fairy who is supposed to preside over the christening of all children, I should ask that her gift to each child in the world be a sense of wonder so indestructible that it would last throughout life.”
—Rachel Carson (20th century)
“Somewhere along the line of development we discover who we really are, and then we make our real decision for which we are responsible. Make that decision primarily for yourself because you can never really live anyone elses life not even your childs. The influence you exert is through your own life and what you become yourself.”
—Eleanor Roosevelt (18841962)
“Women stand related to beautiful nature around us, and the enamoured youth mixes their form with moon and stars, with woods and waters, and the pomp of summer. They heal us of awkwardness by their words and looks. We observe their intellectual influence on the most serious student. They refine and clear his mind: teach him to put a pleasing method into what is dry and difficult.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)