Influence may refer to:
In science and technology:
- Sphere of influence (astrodynamics), the region around a celestial body in which it is the primary gravitational influence on orbiting objects
- Sphere of influence (astronomy), a region around a black hole in which the gravity of the black hole dominates that of the host bulge
- Social influence, in social psychology, influence in interpersonal relationships
- Minority influence, when the minority (which can include the status quo) affect the behavior or beliefs of the majority
- Influence (band), a rock band formed in the 1960s
- Influence (Little Caesar album), 1992 album by Little Caesar
- Influence (Sister Machine Gun album), the seventh album by industrial rock band Sister Machine Gun
- Undue influence, in contract law, where one person takes advantage of a position of power over another person
- Sphere of influence, in political science, an area over which a state or organization has some indirect control
- Office of Strategic Influence, a short-lived U.S. government department
- Driving under the influence, the criminal act of driving while intoxicated
- Influence: Science and Practice, or Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion; two books by Robert Cialdini
Other articles related to "influence":
... an economy where the government exerts strong directive influence ... Under its influence France experienced what is called "Thirty Glorious Years" of profound economic growth ... Under its influence Germany has emerged from desolation and defeat to become an industrial giant within the European Union ...
... New York Dolls were first and foremost a major influence on the rock music scene in New York City, having accumulated a devoted cult following during their ...
... Old Turkic, through the influence of Perso-Arabic after the 13th century, developed into the Chagatai language, a literary language used all across Central Asia until the early 20th century ... region, showing abundant Chaghatai influence ... Uyghur language today shows considerable Persian influence as a result from Chagatai, including numerous Persian loanwords ...
... whom was Jane Goodall, who describes the Tarzan series as having a major influence on her childhood ... Mowgli has been cited as a major influence on Edgar Rice Burroughs' creation of Tarzan ... Mowgli was also an influence for a number of other "wild boy" characters ...
... Many artists from around the world have cited Giraud as an influence on their work ... when I discovered it, I already had a consolidated style so I couldn't use its influence to enrich my drawing ... I directed Nausicaä under Moebius's influence ...
Famous quotes containing the word influence:
“Concord River is remarkable for the gentleness of its current, which is scarcely perceptible, and some have referred to its influence the proverbial moderation of the inhabitants of Concord, as exhibited in the Revolution, and on later occasions.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“A healthy soul stands united with the Just and the True, as the magnet arranges itself with the pole, so that he stands to all beholders like a transparent object betwixt them and the sun, and whoso journeys towards the sun, journeys towards that person. He is thus the medium of the highest influence to all who are not on the same level.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“To marry a man out of pity is folly; and, if you think you are going to influence the kind of fellow who has never had a chance, poor devil, you are profoundly mistaken. One can only influence the strong characters in life, not the weak; and it is the height of vanity to suppose that you can make an honest man of anyone.”
—Margot Asquith (18641945)