IMA alumni have led and fought in every conflict in which the Indian Army has been called upon to render service since the academy was established. Numerous alumni have earned laurels, made the ultimate sacrifice and been honoured with gallantry awards.
In 1941, during World War II, then 2nd Lieutenant Premindra Singh Bhagat was awarded the Victoria Cross. Captain Mateen Ahmed Ansari and Captain Sartaj Singh were awarded the George Cross. 71 Military Crosses were awarded to IMA Alumni during that war, and over 200 alumni were killed in action.
General Mohan Singh Deb, commander-in-chief of the First Indian National Army which fought against the British for the independence of India, was also an alumnus.
Alumni who have been honoured with the Param Vir Chakra include:
- Major Somnath Sharma, Posthumous, 4 Kumaon Regiment, Indo-Pakistani War of 1947
- Captain Gurbachan Singh Salaria, Posthumous, 1 Gorkha Rifles, Congo, 1961
- Lieutenant Colonel Hoshiar Singh, 3 Grenadiers, Indo-Pakistani War of 1971
- 2nd Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal, Posthumous, 17 Poona Horse, Indo-Pakistani War of 1971
- Captain Vikram Batra, Posthumous, 13 Jammu & Kashmir Rifles, Kargil War, 1999
- Captain Manoj Kumar Pandey, Posthumous, 11 Gorkha Rifles, Kargil War, 1999
During the Kargil War of 1999, the Maha Vir Chakra was awarded posthumously to academy alumni, Major Rajesh Singh Adhikari, Major Vivek Gupta, Captain Anuj Nayyar, Captain Neikezhakuo Kenguruse and Lieutenant Keishing Clifford Nongrum. Major Balwan Singh and Major Sonum Wangchuk were also awarded the Maha Vir Chakra.
Read more about this topic: Indian Military Academy
Other articles related to "notable alumni, alumni":
... Institute of New York University has more than 44,000 alumni throughout the United States and in 55 countries around the world ... NYU-Poly's alumni include inventors, scientists, business leaders, entrepreneurs, politicians, country presidents, university presidents and academic leaders among others ... of Civil Engineers and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), are alumni ...
Famous quotes containing the word notable:
“a notable prince that was called King John;
And he ruled England with main and with might,
For he did great wrong, and maintained little right.”
—Unknown. King John and the Abbot of Canterbury (l. 24)