Independent or The Independents may refer to:
- Independent bookstore, bookstore that is not part of a chain
- Independent business, privately-owned companies
- Independent city, city that does not form part of another local government entity
- Independent clothes store, boutique not associated with the larger retailers
- Independent contractor, organisation or individual which provides goods or services under terms specified in a contract
- Independent living, philosophy of working for self-determination, self-respect and equal opportunities
- Independent (politician), not affiliated with any political party
- Independent publisher, small press not associated with a major publisher
- Independent (religion), group active during the English Civil War
- Independent school, school which is not dependent upon national or local government for financing its operation
- Independent sources, in journalism, two or more sources which attest to a given piece of information
- Independent Truck Company, American skateboarding brand
- Dependent and independent verb forms in Goidelic languages
- Independent (voter), not a member of any political party
- Vickers A1E1 Independent, British multi-turreted tank designed during the Interwar period
- Dependent and independent variables
Other articles related to "independent":
... an NCAA or NAIA athletic conference, including NCAA Division I FBS independent schools, for football NCAA Division I FCS independent schools, for football NCAA Division I ...
... can also refer to Institute for Learning Practitioners Independent Labour Party in the United Kingdom ... Intelligence-led policing Independent Living Program a program for foster and probation youth who were in out-of-home placement at the age of 16, the program teach youth skills to live independently from ... Independent Living Program a Veteran Affairs program aimed at making sure that each eligible veteran is able to live independently ...
... The 2005 Independent Spirit Awards, honoring the best in independent filmmaking for 2005, were announced on March 4, 2006 ...
... The independent film scene's development in the 1990s and 2000s has been stimulated by a range of factors, including the development of affordable digital cinematography cameras that can rival ... of professional film equipment and stock was a major obstacle to independent filmmakers who wanted to make their own films ... Even 3-D technology is available to low-budget, independent filmmakers now ...
... Festival in an effort to attract more filmmakers to Utah and showcase what the potential of independent film could be ... and filmmaker panel discussions however it also included a small program of new independent films ... bought out by MGM, ceased to exist as a venue for independent filmmakers, Sterling Van Wagenen left the film festival to help found the Sundance Institute with Robert Redford ...
Famous quotes containing the word independent:
“Surrealism, n. Pure psychic automatism, by which it is intended to express, whether verbally or in writing, or in any other way, the real process of thought. Thoughts dictation, free from any control by the reason, independent of any aesthetic or moral preoccupation.”
—André Breton (18961966)
“The chimney is to some extent an independent structure, standing on the ground, and rising through the house to the heavens; even after the house is burned it still stands sometimes, and its importance and independence are apparent.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“Most works of art are effectively treated as commodities and most artists, even when they justly claim quite other intentions, are effectively treated as a category of independent craftsmen or skilled workers producing a certain kind of marginal commodity.”
—Raymond Williams (19211988)