Independent or The Independents may refer to:
- Independent bookstore, bookstore that is not part of a chain
- Independent business, privately-owned companies
- Independent city, city that does not form part of another local government entity
- Independent clothes store, boutique not associated with the larger retailers
- Independent contractor, organisation or individual which provides goods or services under terms specified in a contract
- Independent living, philosophy of working for self-determination, self-respect and equal opportunities
- Independent (politician), not affiliated with any political party
- Independent publisher, small press not associated with a major publisher
- Independent (religion), group active during the English Civil War
- Independent school, school which is not dependent upon national or local government for financing its operation
- Independent sources, in journalism, two or more sources which attest to a given piece of information
- Independent Truck Company, American skateboarding brand
- Dependent and independent verb forms in Goidelic languages
- Independent (voter), not a member of any political party
- Vickers A1E1 Independent, British multi-turreted tank designed during the Interwar period
- Dependent and independent variables
Other articles related to "independent":
... members of an NCAA or NAIA athletic conference, including NCAA Division I FBS independent schools, for football NCAA Division I FCS independent schools, for football NCAA Division I ...
... Besides, ILP can also refer to Institute for Learning Practitioners Independent Labour Party in the United Kingdom ... Intelligence-led policing Independent Living Program a program for foster and probation youth who were in out-of-home placement at the age of 16, the program teach ... Independent Living Program a Veteran Affairs program aimed at making sure that each eligible veteran is able to live independently ...
... Festival in an effort to attract more filmmakers to Utah and showcase what the potential of independent film could be ... and filmmaker panel discussions however it also included a small program of new independent films ... Artists, bought out by MGM, ceased to exist as a venue for independent filmmakers, Sterling Van Wagenen left the film festival to help found the Sundance Institute with Robert Redford ...
... The independent film scene's development in the 1990s and 2000s has been stimulated by a range of factors, including the development of affordable digital ... of professional film equipment and stock was a major obstacle to independent filmmakers who wanted to make their own films ... Even 3-D technology is available to low-budget, independent filmmakers now ...
... The 2005 Independent Spirit Awards, honoring the best in independent filmmaking for 2005, were announced on March 4, 2006 ...
Famous quotes containing the word independent:
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
—Abraham Lincoln (18091865)
“For myself I found that the occupation of a day-laborer was the most independent of any, especially as it required only thirty or forty days in a year to support one. The laborers day ends with the going down of the sun, and he is then free to devote himself to his chosen pursuit, independent of his labor; but his employer, who speculates from month to month, has no respite from one end of the year to the other.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“When the object is perceived as particular and unique and not merely the member of a family, when it appears independent of any general notion and detached from the sanity of a cause, isolated and inexplicable in the light of ignorance, then and only then may it be a source of enchantment.”
—Samuel Beckett (19061989)