Highway 4 (Israel)
Highway 4 (Hebrew: כּֽבִישׁ אַרְבַּע, Kvish Arba' ) is an Israeli highway that runs along Israel's entire coastal plain of the Mediterranean Sea, its route in the north runs from the Rosh HaNikra border crossing with Lebanon until the Erez Border Crossing with the Gaza Strip. The highway follows in part the route of the ancient Via Maris.
Until the 1990s and the withdrawal of Israel Defense Forces from most of the Gaza Strip due to the Oslo Accords, Highway 4 continued all the way until Rafah and the Egyptian border. The part of the remaining highway in the Gaza Strip is called Salah al-Din Road.
Although the highway is continuous, it is generally considered to be divided into five sections, each with its own nickname and characteristics such as a differing number of lanes and speed limits:
- Northern Coastal Highway (Rosh Hanikra–Haifa). This section passes through the Krayot, Acre and Nahariya in Northern Israel. The southern third of the highway bisects the Krayot area and is extremely traffic congested at times. For this reason, a new bypass road, Highway 22, is being built several kilometers to the east of Highway 4.
- Old Haifa–Tel Aviv Highway (Haifa–Ra'anana). Commonly referred to in Israel as The Old Highway (Hebrew: "הכביש הישן") while Highway 2 is sometimes called The New Highway. This section was originally built by the British to allow Jewish traffic from Tel-Aviv to Haifa to bypass the Arab towns of Qalqilyah and Tulkarm during the 1936-39 violence, making it the first bypass road in the country.
- Geha Highway, or First President Road (Ra'anana–Azor). This functions as an important arterial road in the eastern portion of the Tel Aviv Metropolitan Area.
- Tel Aviv–Ashdod Highway (Azor–Ashdod)
- Southern Coastal Highway (Ashdod–Erez Crossing)
The Tel Aviv - Ashdod and Geha sections are freeways.
Read more about Highway 4 (Israel): Junctions and Interchanges
Other articles related to "highway":
... Type Meaning Location Road(s) Crossed Southern Coastal Highway0 צומת חבל עזה (Hevel Azzah Junction) Gaza Region Erez border crossing local road 1 צומת נתיב העשרה (Netiv HaAsara Junction. 14 צומת ברכיה (Berekhya Junction) Berekhya Highway35 15 צומת אבא הלל סילבר (Abba Hillel Silver Junction) Abba Hillel Silver Kfar Silver Highway3 15.5 ... Tel Aviv–Ashdod Highway36 מחלף אשדוד (Ashdod Interchange) Port of Ashdod Highway41 Highway42 44 מחלף יבנה (Yavne Interchange) Yavne Road 51 ... מחלף חולות (Holot ...
Famous quotes containing the word highway:
“The highway presents an interesting study of American roadside advertising. There are signs that turn like windmills; startling signs that resemble crashed airplanes; signs with glass lettering which blaze forth at night when automobile headlight beams strike them; flashing neon signs; signs painted with professional touch; signs crudely lettered and misspelled.... They extol the virtues of ice creams, shoe creams, cold creams;...”
—For the State of Florida, U.S. public relief program (1935-1943)