Actors Portraying Miller
Several actors played Miller on film, such as:
- Rip Torn played Miller in the 1970 film adaptation of Tropic of Cancer.
- In the 1970 Jens Jørgen Thorsen adaptation of Quiet Days in Clichy, the Miller-based character of 'Joey' was played by Paul Valjean.
- Fred Ward played Miller in the 1990 film Henry & June, based on the diaries of Anaïs Nin.
- David Brandon played Miller in the 1990 film The Room of Words (La stanza delle parole), also based on the diaries of Anaïs Nin.
- Claude Chabrol's 1990 adaptation of Quiet Days in Clichy saw Andrew McCarthy play the Miller role.
Famous quotes containing the words miller, actors and/or portraying:
“The word civilization to my mind is coupled with death. When I use the word, I see civilization as a crippling, thwarting thing, a stultifying thing. For me it was always so. I dont believe in the golden ages, you see.... Civilization is the arteriosclerosis of culture.”
—Henry Miller (18911980)
“It was modesty that invented the word philosopher in Greece and left the magnificent overweening presumption in calling oneself wise to the actors of the spiritthe modesty of such monsters of pride and sovereignty as Pythagoras, as Plato.”
—Friedrich Nietzsche (18441900)
“Primitive peoples tried to annul death by portraying the human bodywe do it by finding substitutes for the human body. Technology instead of mysticism!”
—Max Frisch (19111991)