In Popular Culture
Goan Catholics have been a part of many Bollywood (Hindi cinema) films owing to their musical skills. They are seen in many films playing Goan Catholic families and speak Hindi with a Goan accent.
- In 1977, Amitabh Bachchan portrayed an orphan child (Anthony Gonzalves) adopted by a Goan Catholic priest in the Bollywood film Amar Akbar Anthony. My Name Is Anthony Gonsalves, a song from the film featuring Kishore Kumar, became a hit. The character was based on Anthony Gonsalves, a Goan Catholic musical composer and teacher from the village of Majorda (near Margao in Goa) who, during the mid-1950s, attempted to merge the symphonies of the Goan Catholic heritage with the Hindustani melodies and rhythms in films of the day.
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali's film Khamoshi: The Musical (1996) centred on the tragedy of a Goan Catholic family of deaf-and-mute parents with a normal daughter who falls in love with a Hindu boy.
- Jeete Hain Shaan Se (1988): Johnny (Mithun Chakraborty), a Goan Catholic, loves Julie (Mandakini), who is also a Goan Catholic.
- Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa (1994): Sunil (Shahrukh Khan) falls in love with Anna (Suchitra Krishnamoorthy), a Goan Catholic girl from Goa.
- Josh (2000): Set against the backdrop of Goa and Goan Catholic culture, Josh is a story about energy, youth, love, and the zest for life. Max (ShahRukh Khan), a cool Goan Catholic dada (gangster), is the leader of the Eagle gang, which is constantly up in arms with the new inhabitants of the town of Vasco, Prakash (Sharad Kapoor), and his gang. The two gangs revel in this enmity and love to show off their strength to each other. Max's twin sister is Shirley (Aishwarya Rai), who is also a Goan Catholic.
- My Name Is Anthony Gonsalves (film) (2008): Many characters in this movie are of Goan Catholic lineage; there is the hero himself (Anthony), an orphan taken in by mobster Sikander (Malhotra), and Anthony's friend Mike, a petty thief.
- In the film Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd. (2007), Boman Irani plays Oscar Fernandez, a Goan Catholic. He and his wife Naheed (Shabana Azmi) have recently married. They are middle-aged and the target of constant mocking from everyone. They intend to have a great journey and not be bothered by their difficult pasts. This is their second marriage.
- In the film Golmaal Returns (2008), Gopal (Ajay Devgan) ends up getting stuck on a yacht after saving a woman named Meera (Celina Jaitley) from some gangsters. When he returns home his wife Ekta (Kareena Kapoor) begins to suspect him. He lies and says that he was stuck with a fictitious friend, "Anthony Gonsalves". Trouble comes when the actual Anthony Gonsalves (Vrajesh Hirjee) and his wife Julie (Rakhi Tandon), a Goan Catholic couple, turn up.
- In the movie King Uncle (1993), Ashok Bansal's (Jackie Shroff) girlfriend and secretary Fenni (Anu Agarwal) is of Goan Catholic origin.
- In the movie Rock On!! (2008), Arjun Rampal plays Joseph Mascarenhas, lead guitarist for the band 'Magick', who is of Goan Catholic origin.
- In the movie Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani (2009), Jenny (Katrina Kaif) and her family is of Goan Catholic origin.
Read more about this topic: Goan Catholics
Other articles related to "popular, popular culture":
... It was the 10th most popular name for girls born in the United States in 2007 and the 88th most popular name for females in the 1990 census there ... It was the 89th most popular name for girls born in England and Wales in 2007 the 94th most popular name for girls born in Scotland in 2007 the 13th most popular name ...
... Comic strips became extremely popular in Belgium during the 1930s ... One of the most popular comics of the 20th century, Hergé's The Adventures of Tintin first appeared in 1929 ... of comic strips was also accompanied by a popular art movement, exemplified by Edgar P ...
... Early twentieth-century popular scientific literature began to pique a broader interest in entomology ... The very popular ten-volume book series, Alfred Brehem’s Thierleben (Life of Animals, 1876–1879) expounded on many zoological topics, including ... of forensic science and entomology became an established part of Western popular culture, which in turn inspired other scientists to continue and expand upon his research ...
... Many of the islands have been popular seaside resorts since the 19th century ... the sandy flats at low tide, has become popular in the Wadden Sea ... It is also a popular region for pleasure boating ...
30 years) the drawings were published in many of the more popular magazines and newspapers such as O António Maria, A Paródia, O Commércio do Porto Illustrado and Pontos nos iis ... Zé Povinho became, and still is, a popular character in Portugal ... and disrespect for the powerful ones that try to dominate him, made him popular ...
Famous quotes containing the words culture and/or popular:
“... weve allowed a youth-centered culture to leave us so estranged from our future selves that, when asked about the years beyond fifty, sixty, or seventyall part of the average human life span providing we can escape hunger, violence, and other epidemicsmany people can see only a blank screen, or one on which they project fear of disease and democracy.”
—Gloria Steinem (b. 1934)
“A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy.”
—James Madison (17511836)